5 *%# COATS!!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by desperado, Dec 21, 2002.

1. desperado

desperado Member

HOWDY... bruce here, well I pulled off the small piece of body work between the hood and the cab (don't know what it is called) and took the "magic stripper" to it and began the messy task of paint removel.
    well we have 5 coats of paint ranging from sotck metalic green to grey primer, white, red, navy gray!! anyway what I need to know is once I get this down to bare metal what is the best "off the shelf" metal primer/preservitive I can get because many of these parts will be sitting "storage" for quite some time until I can get around to putting them back on.right after I do the million plus other things that need to be done!! thanks guy's & gal's... more later :0)

2. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

Paint 'em. I hosed everything with primer (which doesn't seal out water) and kept them in the garage. Sure enough, they rusted; back to the blast cabinet. From that point, I shot everything with primer and paint before it went on a shelf.

Select your primer carefully, it needs to be compatible with whatever paint you plan to use (enamel and urethane bond differently).

"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog

3. trklover

trklover Member

the best stuff u can get is etching primer from dupont it will be alright in storge but th part needs to be kept dry

4. morgandavid

morgandavid Member

after you prime you need to use primer sealer. if you are not going to paint for awhile. primer alone is not a rust inhibitor.

5. tclederman

tclederman Member

PPG's DP40 epoxy primer will protect from rusting (I would try to store all primed parts "under cover"). If you want, first use a self-etching primer like PPG's DPX170; then cover with DP40.

Any brand automobile/metal epoxy primer should protect from rusting. But, as recommended above, use primers that are compatible with the finish paint that you will use. To prevent compatibility problems, is best to stay within the same brand/family of paint products.

Tim