Trans Bearing Retainer Shaft

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by jon0249, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jon0249

jon0249 Member

I'm replacing my tired old 3-speed with a T-5 this weekend! Can't wait to drive 65 @ less than 3500 RPM. One question - does anyone know if the bearing retainer shaft on the T-5 is the same OD as the 3-speed? Would like to use the brand new throwout bearing I just replaced.

Also, haven't checked yet, but can anyone confirm that my original drive shaft will fit the output shaft of the T-5? I've got a shop lined up the shorten the shaft 2.5", but am curious if I will need to find a new yoke for the front end of the drive shaft.

JON

2. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Your throwout bearing will work on the T-5, provided its the right length. You will need a different front yoke (from a T-350 I think). You will need a differant clutch disc. Ive read of people using one from an Astro van or a Vega, but you need to reserch that better. Also the retainer is too long will need to be shortened. The pilot shaft on the input shaft is too long. Check out www.stovebolt.com Go to there tech dept, there is a good write up on this swap. Chris

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. jon0249

jon0249 Member

Thanks - figured out the yoke wouldn't work when I dropped the driveshaft last night. Found a disc froma '90 Lumina, 9.75" dia, will work perfect, and will trim the brg ret shaft when I can compare it to the old one.

I presume the u-joint for the TH350 yoke won't be the same as the one I"m using - can you confirm? If so, I think I remember reading about a 348 Spicer conversion u-joint. Does this ring any bells?