New Guy

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by jaybird67, Apr 28, 2002.

1. jaybird67

jaybird67 Member

Hey there folks! My name's Jay and I just signed on to this forum today. I recently acquired a 1966 Chevy K10 4x4,short stepside with a 292 six,dual holley 2-bbls, headers,and TH350 tranny. The thing is in great working order and runs awesome. I drove it steady for two months before I pulled the fenders off. The bed is in good shape,as is the cab. But the fenders and grille support panel were shot. I have since purchased new fenders,new inner fenders, a used but immaculate grille support panel from down south, and a used but excellent radiator support. All the used stuff is being sandblasted and should be ready by next weekend.I can't believe my good luck in finding this thing. I traded even for a beat up 86 Cutlass Supreme with a blown tranny. Interiors nice,aluminum Custom Trim Pkg all in good shape. Some gaskets and seals, perhaps a u-joint or two and I'm rollin...Anyway,I may need some help in finding parts for the 4-wheel drive linkage. Because SOMEBODY put this automatic in place of the original standard trans,there is nowhere to bolt the linkage. They used a crossmember from a 2wheel drive w/automatic,( notched for front driveshaft clearance)and fabricated the Transfer Case Shift Linkage and mounte it to the crossmember. It's kind of hack, So I'll have to improve upon it.Any suggestions are appreciated and I'm looking forward to dealing with y'all!

2. bk65

bk65 Member

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place. Lots of help to be found here.

I'm assuming you still have the original transfer case (model 221 that is separate from the transmission). In the 1960-66 factory assembly manual (available from the fine folks at Chevy Duty) there is a page showing how the shift mechanism should be mounted and adjusted. However, the page looks like it is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy and most of the fine print is illegible. The good part is that it shows how the shift lever was mounted on an automatic (with the longer tailshaft housing than on the original 4-speed) so that should help.

I hope you've still got the original transmission hump cover, I've had to get pieces from three different covers to fix the rusty parts on mine. You're going to find there are a lot of parts unique to the factory 4x4 models, and with the relatively low production numbers, there are a lot of parts not being reproduced. It would be great if there was a forum for the early 4x4's, from the Napco conversions of the late fifties thru the 66 model.

If you'd like, e-mail me at oldtruckparts@aol.com, I've got a few pages of the 221 manual in a .pdf file format. You'll need to download Acrobat Reader to read these files, but it's a free download if you don't already have it. The three or four pages I have appear to be from a GMC or Timken repair manual and include a really clean copy of the adjustment specs. My truck wouldn't go into 2 Hi (even though the mechanic shop I bought it from swore that everything worked... who hasn't heard that one before?) But a couple minutes under the truck with the right information in hand and the transfer case shifts great.

Good luck.

3. 64K10

64K10 Member

Hey Jaybird...

Welcome, good to hear from another 4x4 owner!!! Not too many of us!
    I put up a web page, but progress on my truck (and the web page) has been a little slow. If you've got a picture send it to me and I'll post it with the couple of others I've received. Also, regarding the transfer case, we need a little more info on what you've got, post some pictures if you can.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wck10s/index.html

As BK65 mentioned, it sure would be great to have our own forum. Pat over at the NAPCO site (www.napco4x4.org) has a lot of info and has been real helpful (but it's not a forum and his focus is on NAPCO trucks). Although I have heard that there a some 60-66 NAPCO's made haven't found mine YET!!!

BK65, I'll drop you an email about the "pdf" files.

64K10

4. bwiley

bwiley Member

Howdy

I assume you have the Timken manufactured 221 transfer case in your truck as I had in my 65 GMC. I found it easy to work on with parts readily available although quite expensive. One gear in mine that was chipped was $750 for a new one, mine stayed chipped! The shifting arrangement is rather strange though with the rocker setup.

The problem I had with mine (if I recall correctly in my old age) was the "interlock pin" preventing it from shifting correctly by not being the right length. Really strange.

If you'd like, I'll scan in the shifter details & parts blowup from the case and email to you or post them on a site. Let me know.

Bruce

5. jaybird67

jaybird67 Member

hey now! Thanks for all the feedback on my transfer case woes. All info is appreciated. Bk65,I got your message but haven't opened it yed no acrobaat.Bwiley,I'd appreciate that if you could get me the info you mentioned.Big weekend ahead,gonna rip it out...

6. bwiley

bwiley Member

7. bwiley

bwiley Member

8. jaybird67

jaybird67 Member

Thanks. I removed the t-case and blasted it clean.Popped the top and everything looks fine in the belly. Resealed all the caps and seals and gave her a couple of shots of Rust-oleum.Still no linkage,gotta hunt for parts.I'll come up with something...