Noob saying Hello

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Aaron J, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

Hello all, just bought my first classic. 1954 Panel wagon. It is in very good shape inside and out. Needs a little TLC on the windows (stripping and seals), and window regulators, but other than that she runs good. All original drive train...suspension is shot, but I think that will be my only costly venture.
    This site looks like it is going to be a BIG help, I am new to all this, as I am a motorcycle guy primarily. I look forward to bugging the heck out of you all with retarded questions! I promise I will use the search first though!:D

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I'm not too far away in Charlotte. You need to get her ready for the Run To The Sun in Myrtle Beach in March. Everything from the front doors foreward and most things underneath are the same as a regular truck, so they should apply to you. Ask away if you have any questions.

Russ

3. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Welcome. We're all retards...

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Stupid Retards.......

As we still like to play with old trucks :eek:

I still use my mostly stock 1949 3100 Pickup as a shop truck .

WELCOME Aaron ! no matter how you like it , mild to wild , you're in the right place here , spend some time looking through older posts, you can copy & paste 'em and make a better than factory shop manual , the guys here know EVERYTHING and that's no B.S. ! your '54 has many one year only feature to it and there are several '54 lovers so no worries .

Tune it , lube it , ADJUST THE BRAKES then drive the snot out of it , these are not made to be parked .

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I'm an official unofficial member of the Retarded Sparks car club. And you can be to!

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride.

7. sonny42

sonny42 Member

Welcome Aaron

I'm just down the road in Atlantic Beach. I have a 55.1 that I just finished putting on a S-10 chassis.I drove it for a year stock except for a electronic ignition and a overdrive trans.Also have a'55 210 2dr.Occasionally I go to the cruise-in at Bojangle's in james city (New Bern) on the third sat. nite.Maybe I'll see you there.Any question that you have can be answered by the members of this forum.There is a wealth of knowledge here.Good luck with your new project.

8. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

Actually I been trying to find a place that can re-do my windows and all the seal that go with it. The windshield and driver/pass windows are all cracked and the selas are pretty bad, the vent window glass is OK but the seal are wasted. Any suggestions? I tried calling a few places and got turned down. I could order all the stuff, just need someone to put it all in, I have zero experience with window install and not a lot of cash to waste on mistakes. Thanks

9. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

Actually I been trying to find a place that can re-do my windows and all the seal that go with it. The windshield and driver/pass windows are all cracked and the selas are pretty bad, the vent window glass is OK but the seal are wasted. Any suggestions? I tried calling a few places and got turned down. I could order all the stuff, just need someone to put it all in, I have zero experience with window install and not a lot of cash to waste on mistakes. Thanks

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Welcome!

Nice ride Aaron! More pics! BTW, I love retarded questions because I normally come up with retarded answers:D! Have fun!

Ken

11. Zig

Zig Member

Not bad~ For a Chevy

Welcome, Aaron!

Great looking ride you have there! (It looks lowered, somehow...:cool:)

From the picture you posted, it looks pretty darn straight, too.

If you have the time, check out the thread Russ has supplied us with on redoing one of these (trucks). Windows are windows. His detailed description and step by step instructions might give you the courage to do it yourself. That way you'll save money, but best of all, you'll know YOU did it and how it all works!:cool:

And seriously, we need more pictures of your ride. Inside/more outside, and of course under the hood!;)

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Don't pay anyone to work on your truck. These things are simple farm tech machines. It don't get any easier than this. Just think, all the bloodshead, swearing and tool flinging will just make it that much more satisfying when you drive it, knowing you did it all. There are no special tools needed (other than a set of clutch head drivers) that don't come in a craftsman tool set.

Check my tech articles, I try to explain it step by step as much as possible.
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=10877

https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9530

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Glass & Rubber

Aaron ;

Where you buy the rubber seals and glass pieces from makes a HUGE difference : I'm a Journeyman Mechanic who works in a large Munincipal Truck Shop , we have ' professional ' glass vendors , they made me poor copies of my original flat windshields then this site's host sold me worse than useless taiwanese rubbers , the end result was mucho swearing , cursing and sweating by two professional glass installers for several hours and a windshield that leaks far worse than the original cracked, pitted and separated ones ever did .

Buy rubber products ONLY from Steele Rubber Products ,it's all made in the good old U.S. of A. too ! .

Then , buy the correct glass from this site's host as the thickness of the glass is crucial and local glass shops often get the wrong stuff , too thick

I hope this warning helps .

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

Welcome and great looking truck. Like others have said these are so much fun to drive, so enjoy it!!

15. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

Russ, Nate

Russ I looked at your post, Wow, nice and very informative and helpful, I am going to attempt the side windows myself, but might leave the windshield to a pro, don't wanna crack it. I'll PM when I get into this if I have issues. Thanks for the reply

Nate, I did order some door seals so far from the host, they look ok, but we'll see and from now on I'll order from your recommendation. Do they sell a complete kit, I am not really sure on what all to order to completly redo my driver and passenger windows...i.e. channels, bead (??) seals, felt, windlace etc. not sure what all the terminology means.

16. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

May as well try the vents yourself as these come out when doing the sideglass. The host has side glass that is cheap enough. If you get it at the same place & time the chances are good that it will be the same color.