dont like the new front springs

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mot1982, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mot1982

mot1982 Member

just finshed rebuilding front end.. just set back down on shop floor..
    do not like the height of new front springs, truck sitting like 2" higher in front than it did before new springs..

took off stock springs and ordered new stock springs from eaton..(pricy buggers)
    the old springs mush have had a ton of sagg in them or the new springs over arced or a combination of both..

anyway what to do now is the question. with they settle in lower with some driving? maybe i should take them back out and remove a leaf or two? or sale them to some one who wants new stock springs and order new custom dropped springs?

ARRG thought i was done.. just spent alot of money and several weeks time..
    LOL

2. Aaron J

Aaron J Member

I am worried about the same thing happening with mine when I do them. mine is so low now. I like the look, but once I add the new springs I am sure that they will raise her. A buddy told me that I could add a lowering block/spacer in to lower it back down if this happens. Not sure if that is the best approach, I guess I'll worry about it when I get to it. Good luck, I will be watching this post for info, so keep updating as to what happens - thanks

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Keep the new springs, just pull a leaf or 2. Keep the thick overload spring at the bottom, only pull from every other spring, start with one, try it out, then 2, etc. It will take a while, but put it all back togther after each try to see where you are.

4. 2tons of fun

2tons of fun Member

they will settle with some use.

5. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry to hear that~

I got mine from Eaton, too. I ordered the 2" lowered. I'm curious to see how they will turn out. I'm also thinking about putting a slightly smaller tire on the front to help get it a smidge lower if need be. Good luck with the dismantle. Is yours a 3/4? (I forget...)

6. mot1982

mot1982 Member

ZIG:
    mines a 1/2 ton.. i think you will be happy with the 2" lower than stock leafs.. thats about what mine where before replaceing with new springs.. although i didn't know it.. LOL so it sound like you made the right choice

aron j:
    I dont see how you could lower it with blocks? the axle is below the spring..
    if there is a way to lower with blocks i would be interested.

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

To lower with blocks to the rear as we did in the 60's, the rear-end must be above the springs, doing that switch will get you some inches down once you fix the mounting brackets first. Little bit of welding is required.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I'm amazed you guys are willing to accpt the constant bottoming out with lowered springs .

I bought new stocksprings and they're flaccid ~ my truck sits almost @ stock ride height but they _instantly_ flex with any bump so even speed humps make the front axle bottom if I'm going 20 MPH .

I wish I'da had the $ to afford nice Eaton springs .

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

They make a front dropped axel for these pick-ups, some are even on fleabay.

10. mot1982

mot1982 Member

my eaton springs seem to stiff if anything..
    yep they are pricy.. seems a shame to take them apart to remove leaf.. but that looks like where i am at..

just noticed this afternoon the passeger fender is higher than the drivers fender.. on the body any way.. floor to fenderwell is 1.5" higher on passenger side. but the frame to top of axel is within 1/8" of each other on both sides.. so something is different in the body..

got the brakes adjusted and took it for a drive for first time today with new front suspension, new tie rods, king pins, drag link, and sway bars..
    alot tighter steering and handling.. much better.

so now i just need to figure out why passenger side fender is higher, and remove leafs to get the whole front end lower.

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Before disecting the springs, Find some front mounts for the rear springs. Put these in place of the rear mounts in the front....make sense? This is supposed to give about 2" lowering in front. I don't know this from experience, but have read it in several places.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Body Sag

This is quite common in AD Pickups ,is usually caused by cab sag .

ALWAYS measure the ride height from ground to the frame , never the body .'

13. mot1982

mot1982 Member

lowering front by removing leefs

hey has anyone done the lowering of front end by removing leefs?
    i am looking for about 1 to 1.5" of drop looks like i can remove the second and thrid from bottom with out effecting the clips.

will two leefs removed do the trick?

I guess the other option is to remove the springs entirly and have them rearced.. any one do this?

14. TwicePipes

TwicePipes Member

have your local spring shop reverse the eyes and it will bring it down about 1.5"

15. mot1982

mot1982 Member

that sounds cool.. how do they revearse the eyes?
    do they make a new top leaf?

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

17. TwicePipes

TwicePipes Member

no,they will just reshape it.

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lowering Via Spring Mods

Just be aware that this will increase the amount of bottoming out you do over those speed bumps so many neighborhoods are fond of these days...

19. mot1982

mot1982 Member

ok remove the two bottom leafs.. now it sits at proper height.. front 1/8" lower than rear..
    shame to do that to new springs..

anyway hopefully good to go.
    spring shops wanted alot of $ to dearc.. and Eaton wanted me to payfor shipping bothways to fix them.. expensive as well.. cross country.

if I get a break in winter weather well see how it drives.