axles?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cowboy, May 16, 2002.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

I've got a 12 bolt and a 10 bolt rear axle. What are some of the pros and cons of each type of axle. which is better. My truck is goint to be a street rod. I've got a 283v that i'm going to put in my truck. i will be adding an edelbrock intake manifold ,carb , and a camshaft kit to the motor.
    Thanks rick

2. GreatNorthWoods

GreatNorthWoods Member

Rick, it won't make much difference in your truck. The 10-bolt will be more than sufficient for anything that even a heavily modified 283 can put out. The 12-bolt would be overkill, but there's nothing wrong with that. If you ever thought about replacing the engine with a big block in the future, go with the 12-bolt. Are they the same ratio? Perhaps that would be more of a deciding factor than the ring gear size...

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

Well i haven't figures out the gear ratios yet.what would be the easiest way.
    thanks Cowboy

4. GreatNorthWoods

GreatNorthWoods Member

It's too bad Chevy doesn't use tags on their rear ends like Ford. If it's out of the car, the only way I know to determine the ratio is to pull the cover and count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion. Divide the number of teeth in the pinion into the number of teeth on the ring gear to get the ratio. Remember also that the tire and wheel size will affect the final gear ratio. Another thought...if one of the rears is a limited slip/positive traction rear, it would be preferable to the other. You can tell that by turning the drum on one side and if the one on the other side moves in the same direction it's a limited slip. If it does not move or moves in the opposite direction, it's not a limited slip. What transmission will you be using? That will also make a difference in what ratio you might want in the rear end.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Another way of ratio estimation is to turn the drive wheel, on non posi rears, and count the revolutions of the yoke to one turn of the wheel. Do the math and come up with the ratio.