Gear Shift Assembly

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by panz4ever, Nov 21, 2009.

1. panz4ever

panz4ever Member

Couple of questions...this came off my 55 Cameo. It is referred to as the gear shift assembly and also the 3 speed shift box. Found two places that sell them for a core exchange (American Classics, Jim Carter Classic Truck Parts and Bowtie Bits). Any recommendations for/against them? Anyone else have a recommendation for a rebuild service? Anyone know a place that sells a rebuild kit so I can do it myself (asking because I do not know if it worth the effort or even possible)

One of the ends on mine is definitely different from the pics I have seen of the rebuilt ones. The ends that are on each end of the box on mine are both straight. The pics I have seen of these shows that outside end as having a curved end that bends in over the box. Obviously mine is not. So do I assume that someone somewhere changed out this part or is there something that is different on my 3 speed column shift?

Attached pic of mine.

Last thing...anyone know of a place to get the handle for the overdrive. Mine is pretty beat up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

I believe you are right about the curved piece at the end,I will look at my 59 when I get home.I am wondering if they made a change in production years as yours is a 55.I was able to rebuild mine with
    spare parts and putting the best pieces together to make one good one.I remember their being a spring inside that was key in makeing mine work, not sure if they sell just the spring tho!
    pretty straight forward tho in rebuilding it!
    good luck with your Cameo.
    Allen,59 stepside,58 Cameo

3. panz4ever

panz4ever Member

Thanks...apreciate it. Have not found any site that sells rebuild kist and parts to rebuild this...bummer

4. panz4ever

panz4ever Member

K...so after some more searching I have discovered that my shift box assembly is made for a 54-55 Chevy truck. i had thought the steering components were all original stuff. At least they looked it.

So can anyone tell me the difference between the components other that the end pice that curves in for 55 2nd series as opposed to a straight end on 54-55

Will using the correct component affect anything else in the steering column/mechansim? Got me wondering if the entire set up may have been changed out at some point. How to tell?

Any possibility that like Harley Davidson, GM used spare components from earlier years when they had them left over from the previous year and put them in early production models for the following year.

5. panz4ever

panz4ever Member

Found pics of both. Lazy S end is 55-59; straight end is 54-55

Attached Files:

6. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

With your truck being a 55 2nd series still makes me wonder if they used up what they had on the production line from the 54-55
    1st series.have you contacted our host of this site?Golden state p/u parts said they used to rebuild them and sell parts to rebuild but have since stopped and they told me to try bowtie bits, FWIW!

7. panz4ever

panz4ever Member

I ordered the 55-59 piece from Bow Tie. Really nice folks. They were 1 of 2 that I could find that sells rebuilt part; no one I found sells rebuild kits.

Wish I could find out the difference. With the way it mounts on the column it appears to be adjustable...so I may be okay. Will find out when the part comes in and I strap it to the column...or try to do so.

Thanks for the help.

8. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

I was looking at my 59 (has stock 3-speed trans) and if the end outer rod was straight like yours,the rod between the trans and that connection would seam to me, hit the bell houseing and their would be no way it would work if mine didn't have the bend at that point.looks like their would be a different linkage that would have
    a bend in it also between the trans and shift lever maybe 54-and early 55 had this?
    again good luck your cameo,Allen