Side Mount Spare once more.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Some different solutions , and it wont be nesceserry to cut out the steel flap out of the fender. look here. It looks pretty need and practicle right?

Martinius.

Attached Files:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The green one is on a 3/4 ton bed, it is a little longer. You could make up a mount for inside the bed.

3. Volker

Volker Member

i prefer the green one because i don't drill through the side of the bed.
    A good idea and i will think about to do this on my truck. I cleaned my bed because it look's like not good to see the screws from inside.

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

My side tire carrier which was on my truck when I bought it was a straight bar bolted to two side posts, and it looked as if I had welded it up. I had two more made up the same way and mounted thenthe same way as the old one was. The new ones are similar to the green one in the picture but go all the way to the posts without the vericle bars the green one has. I do not care about the bolts on the inside the truck will not be going to the concours anytme soon. I noticed usng the green one, one could use 5/16ths flat stock on the vericles and then bolt into the posts and get a more steamline look. But then again it is a truck to be used.
    Double looks okay, I have white covers on them right now, two different rims and tires.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Homemade Spare Tire Carrier

What Charles said .

Using carriage bolts reversed in the bed results in nice flat bolt heads , not overly noticeable nor do they catch loads ,fingers etc. .

Just remember to mock it up with the TALLEST inflated 16" spare mounted you can find ! .

6. shooter2

shooter2 Member

You can find elevator bolts at any old-time hardware store. There flat headed.

Jim