New Gen Engine /Trans Questions

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by gulffishin, Dec 17, 2009.

1. gulffishin

gulffishin Member

I've been researching and considering upgrading my powertrain/drivetrain to a more modern setup. It's not that I don't like the carbureted engines, its just that when you look at the price of used engines and transmissions the newer ones cost about as much as the older ones. I figured if I'm going to go through the trouble of a swap, why not have the reliability, efficiency, and power of a newer EFI engine. I was thinking about a late model fuel injected Vortec 5.7 or 5.3 and a 700r4 or 4l60E trans. I have seen write-ups online on other sites about people who have done such swaps and was just wondering if anyone has any input or experience. Thanks

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The fuel injected crate motors are a good option for sure. You will need to plumb a fuel "return" line to the tank to get it to work. Other than that, it's pretty much plug and play for the motor.

The trans will need some adaptation like support crossmember and e-brake considerations.

It's a good combination and will allow you to drive anywhere from the mountains and the valleys with consistant performance and predictable fuel economy.

DV

3. gulffishin

gulffishin Member

Allright! just the news I wanted to hear.

4. LittleStar

LittleStar Member

The 5.3 with the 4L60E trans came into production in 1999 and is now plentiful on the market and relatively inexpensive. This combo fits our trucks like it was born there. Probably the only pricey item that is needed is a motor wiring harness unless you're a auto electric genius and you can modify the stock harness yourself. If you go this route be sure that you get the ECU from the donor. You'll need to have it reflashed to remove all the stuff the donor truck has that the old truck doesn't.

5. gulffishin

gulffishin Member

Thanks for the help, I was hoping to hear it would go in fairly easily. Definitely not a wiring genius. Where would I go to get the ECU reprogrammed? Would one of those "power programmer" things you hook to your laptop work?

6. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

only problem with injection is that you wont be able to shoot any flames from your exhaust. :( other then that, i agree with DValintine.

7. gulffishin

gulffishin Member

8. LittleStar

LittleStar Member

I got my harness from Painless Performance and the ECU reflash was part of the deal.

9. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

That's the BEST way to go !!

dv

10. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member