3-speed to 3-speed/overdrive

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by The Pack Rat, Sep 3, 2008.

1. The Pack Rat

The Pack Rat Member

I have a '71 C-10 with a 3-speed manual and I would like to swap the trans for a 3-speed with overdrive. I found one for a really good deal, but it's from a '57 chevy and I'm not sure if it will fit. Would it fit my truck? If not, what years will fit?

2. step1958

step1958 Member

just measure yours from mounting bolts to tail shaft ? then 55-58 style overdrive has a course tail shaft newer ones dont ? real differnce in the tail shaft need a course yoke for your drive line if you run early trans ? newer ones are a little beefer to !!!! running a v-8 with the early style you start poping the clutch and speed shifting them YOU WILL BREAK THEM !!!! the one your looking for came in like 68-70 trucks is called a T-85 i have one but overdrive dont work ? shifts fine had the trans in my 58 ? over drive wont lock in ? they are also all syncro where the old ones are not !!!! hope this helps !!!!!!!! doug

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. The Pack Rat

The Pack Rat Member

Thankyou so much. I didn't even think about what model it was.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. capev86

capev86 Member

prior to 65 the saginaw 3 speed had a 4 bolt side cover and non synchro first gear vs the full synchro with 7 bolt side cover on the '65 and newer. the 65-69 1/2 ton trucks had the overdrive option and then they decided it wasn't feasible on the trucks. i hear some same vintage fords got the same basic unit and you can swap the heavier duty internals....atleast thats what my dad's buddy (big 57 chevy fan) told me, but i don't know about the later years. many of the od units were junked due to faulty solenoids that were rebuildable. i hear a company in mass manufactured the original solenoids but you'd have to buy from a third party as they are only recreated in bulk orders. anyway...thats a just a bit of overview off the top of my head. i plan to regear my 72 burb 3/4 ton from a 4.57 to a 4.10 and add the od unit to my 3OT so i drive it comfortably above 40mph.