Question about shackle bolts and spring bushings with pics

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by RossRinSD, Nov 27, 2009.

1. RossRinSD

RossRinSD Member

I'm installing a set of lifted leaf springs on the front of my truck.

When I attempted to re-install the shackles, the bolts won't fit through the new leaf springs.

Inside the end of the spring is a rubber bushing and a metal sleeve. The bolt is to large for the metal sleeve. The old springs did not have that metal sleeve.

What is the most legit and correct fix for this?

Pull out the metal sleeve and forget about it? The old springs didn't have one.

Find a smaller diameter bolt? Won't that make it weaker.

Find a sleeve with a thinner wall? Will any bit of tubing work?

Get all different shackles and bolts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junker

junker Member

cant tell from pics but are you sure old metal sleeve isnt rusted onto old bolts? i never reuse old bolts when i do suspension work. i'd buy new ones. good luck.

3. wild bill

wild bill Member

bushings

the poly bushings have the tube in them to make it so you don't over tighten the bushing bolt's and crush the bushing's .the original bolts are a shouldered bolt that only allows you to tighten the bolt's so far with out crushing the split rubber bushing's from the factory .
    i would guess that you are putting the ploy bushing's in the upper mount in the spring hanger ,if so the spring lift kit should have new shackle side plate's with the correct size bolts for the bushing's ,if not get them and the right size grade 8 bolts .or make new side plate's with the right size bolt hole's to fit the bushing tube's .:) it's really hard on lift kit's unless you get all the right part's or can make them,the spring eye's are a different size from stock usually .
    use grade 8 bolt's with crown lock nut's not nylon and you will be ok use 1/4 steel for the side plate's i cant see how wide or long they are ,