Charging System and others

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by MikeRS17, Jun 16, 2002.

1. MikeRS17

MikeRS17 Member

As you all know by now I have a 1960 Chevy pickup. I have replaced the original engine with a 350 small block with headers and edelbrock stuff. I bought all new harnesses through Chevy Duty and have installed them. I cannot get my instrument panel lights to go on. What bulbs do I use. I have a new headlight switch. Also I used the conversion harness for the internal regulator alternator and the brown wire coming off the front harness going from the firewall to the regulator goes where now?? This wire is my generator light. Do I ground it or put it on the junction block that was included with the conversion harness. I tried that and the light stays on all the time even withought the key in it. But my lights in my instrument panel won't even light. I need help please thanks. :)

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Dash lights- change out the bulbs. None of mine worked when I got my panel and I went crazy diagnosing them. Finally went to parts store and bought new bulbs. Result was they were ALL burned out and work fine now.

The brown wire? Help me out guys, I THINK it goes to the coil. I'm not near my Service Manual right now. I'll check when I get home.

3. bk65

bk65 Member

The brown wire should be for the gen light, its actually the ground wire. When the alternator fails or when the motor is off but the key is on, the ground connects through the alternator and the light should be lit. There should be a pink wire going to the gen light as well, this is the 12v supply for the lamp. The brown wire will connect to the one side of the dual connector on your alternator. the website below explains it much better than I can.

www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm

4. cori

cori Member

hi mike i'm sorry i don't have any advice for you but was wondering if when you put your 350 in did you move the motor mounts foward and what kind of drive shaft did you use? thanks cori

>As you all know by now I have a 1960 Chevy pickup. I have
    >replaced the original engine with a 350 small block with
    >headers and edelbrock stuff. I bought all new harnesses
    >through Chevy Duty and have installed them. I cannot get my
    >instrument panel lights to go on. What bulbs do I use. I
    >have a new headlight switch. Also I used the conversion
    >harness for the internal regulator alternator and the brown
    >wire coming off the front harness going from the firewall to
    >the regulator goes where now?? This wire is my generator
    >light. Do I ground it or put it on the junction block that
    >was included with the conversion harness. I tried that and
    >the light stays on all the time even withought the key in
    >it. But my lights in my instrument panel won't even light.
    >I need help please thanks. :)
    }>
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/image... kind of drive shaft did you use? thanks cori