Dropped frontaxle

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by MentalClinic, Jan 3, 2010.

1. MentalClinic

MentalClinic Member

Anyone here who runs with a dropped frontaxle? I see they sell dropped axles here on Classicparts.com

I would love to see some pics on a truck with a dropped axle.

I maybe going to buy a droppedaxle to my 49' truck + lowering blocks. Wonder how low it could be? hmm...

2. MentalClinic

MentalClinic Member

I found this website, very intresting with good photos: www.droppedaxles.com for everyone else thats wondering about it. Up to 4"inch drop axle.

Have someone here used this method? Pics are always fun...

3. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

I bought some other non related parts from Sid's (droppedaxles.com). He was a very nice guy and when I asked about how it was done, he told me it is a lost art and how the axles actually stretch like pulling taffy when properly heated and jigged correctly. I think he puts out a very good and solid product.

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The problem with dropped axles is getting the tie rod to clear the frame & oil pan. You can flip the tie rod, but then you have to worry about it catching on something and bending (making for extreme toe out) while bringing you to a quick halt.

If the front axle on an AD truck mounts below the springs like my '57 truck does, lowering blocks become raising blocks instead.

5. Melsfine39

Melsfine39 Member

Dropped Axles

Check out out Sid at WWW.droppedaxles.com and he will set you up with what you need and what you need to make it work! A great guy with a lot of know how. Mel:D

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lowering Blocks

The deal is Bill ;

Some folks flip the axle to sit on top of the leaf springs then add a block to lower it even further ~ I've seen this on the rear , it's a cobby , unsafe way to do it IMO having seen the carnage that ensues when this jury-rigged B.S. breaks as it always does sooner or later .

7. vegaskenn

vegaskenn Member

Im running a 3 inch dropped axle. We modified the steering arms ourselves by adding a section to them to acheive some clearance between the tie rod and the leaf springs.

Definately lower and a little tricky to drive. I need shocks badly.

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Sid

Cant say enough about how helpful this guy is, i have one of his axles on my truck and although i aint been on the road yet, it all bolted up with no problems and he gave great advise about how to alter the steering to clear everything. As im based in the UK i was worried about this going pear shaped but i need not have. Great guy