1949 Chevrolet 3/4ton truck project (pics)

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by MentalClinic, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MentalClinic

MentalClinic Member

Okey, here comes my project post. It's a 1949 3/4ton pickup. I will update with pics when restoration begins. The plan is to have it in an "ratlook" finish, lowered etc. To begin with. I want it brown, lowered all around and rollin' on whitewalls!

Here is some fresh pics on it in Florida. Ready to ship it over the atlantic to Sweden. It's from North Carolina, owned by some hillbilly, so it should be pretty much stock and mostly rust free condition.

More pics to come, when it have arrived to snowy Sweden... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lews50

Lews50 Member

Niiiicccceeee!

I like that truck, it looks realy clean. My advice would be tune it up, make sure the brakes are good and drive, drive, drive. No, it sounds like you have a good plan. Be careful over there on those fast roads. Congratulations on a great find!

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Nice truck! I love the hood ornament! Definitely not the original engine. It looks to be either a 230 c.i. or 250 c.i. 6 banger (circa 1963-66)

Keep us posted!

Ken

4. Wolf

Wolf Member

great looking ride!!! that truck would be perfect the way it is!!! just get it going and drive drive drive. but whatever you do to it is perfect!!! enjoy it. thanks for the pics:D

5. MentalClinic

MentalClinic Member

Thanks for the comments guys! Im REALLY looking forward to get this baby home in my garage, so I can start work on it. The engine runs all good, the brakes is not working tho. But I plan to change all brakes parts etc!

Im also thinking of removinge the engine for a smallblock instead! Do I need to cut in the firewall wto fit a V8?

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

194 c.i. from a Nova looks like that too.

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

A big block can fit in there without cutting.

8. coilover

coilover Member

Russ is right, length is no problem since a V8 is two cylinders shorter than an inline six and width is no problem since your changing the steering box location anyway. We are often asked about clearance issues by people contemplating a V8 swap so I have these two pictures to show them. One shows untouched firewall and the other shows radiator clearance.

Attached Files:

9. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

Big Block

Get the big block chevy a 292

10. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

congrats on finding a nice truck, can't wait to see you ROD it up!

11. MentalClinic

MentalClinic Member

Okey guys, thanks for the information. Sounds good when no or very little cuting is needed, cool! Im very glad to get help, because this is my first OWN Chevrolet truck project. Much is new to me! Im use to restore vintage Volkswagens and Porsches.

I just got informed that my truck is going to arrive to Sweden on Tuesday this week, so more pics will come very soon! :D

Here is some links to my other/old projects/builds:

http://www.meanbugs.com/traffgalleri/index.php?list=Medlems bilar/Martin Henriksson

and

www.martinhenriksson.com

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  12. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Dear Mental,
    Us "HillBillies" of North Carolina and Tennessee, thank you! We never drove that truck in snow or salt. Please check carefully at the artful methods used to keep your 49' running. You may find baling wire, twine, duct tape and Band-Aids in critical places. We of course never want to mark up our vintage pieces of "Americana" for our Swedish friends. The current exchange rate of 140/100 makes this a good deal all around. I can't wait to see the Euro change that is to take place on the old Chevy truck!

I am curious, how much it cost to ship your truck to Europe? I am going to move to Europe in the next year or so. What will a completely restored truck sell for in Europe. Can I drive my 47' in Austria and Germany? Are there Antique license plates for old vehicles?

Flashlight

13. Volker

Volker Member

shipping

@Flashlight
    i paid approx 2.000 Euro for shipping and handling from US to Germany, plus tax and fee if the Car/Truck is younger then 1950.
    Yes we have an historic plate in Germany for all Cars/Truck older than 30 years and it's cheaper than the normal plate.

And you would like to sell your Truck in Europe? Hmmm, we say "the quality of restoration is most very different between Germany and the US.
    Example: I bought my Truck in very good - rust free condition. that means the holes are smaller than 1 inch. :D
    For that reason i don't know how is the quality if i don't see the restoration progress i can't believe it. ...and that's the important thing to say a price to sell.
    I gone with my truck to make a price check and they said my truck has a value from $35000. Hmm now i'm looking for the redneck that will pay this sum;)

And last - YES you can drive your truck with the american plate in Germany.

Let me know when you are in Germany and i will invite you to a dinner.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  14. MentalClinic

MentalClinic Member

Okey, finally it's home! :D Sitting in my garage for the moment. Cool! Here is some pics from today when we picked the old truck up from the docks in snowy Sweden, Karlstad city. Just 1 kilometer from my garage so we could tow it back home. Great!

[​IMG]
    North Carolina to Karlstad in Sweden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MentalClinic

MentalClinic Member

more pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Cool, now you need to come to Charlotte in April for the Autofair. Bring a shopping list and we can visit truck shop and load up on show specials. Then we can track down whatever else you need and box it all up and ship it in one big container!

I always wondered exactly where Sweden was........thanks!

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Home At Last

Veru good .

I like your old VW 241 .

Want to buy some more Vintage VW's ? I have 1960 # 117 , 1963 # 113 , 1967 #113 and 1968 # 211 .

They are stock and mostly in good shape . the 211 is a bit rusty around the windshield but had brandy new twin port 1600 CC engine and many other repairs .

I'm getting out of VW's completely .

18. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Nate, does this mean that you'll change your handle to gmnate1?;):D

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

New Handle

Naw ! I'll prolly keep this one , 50 years of VW Service doesn't come nor go easy ya know :rolleyes:

I DO have a Chevy based alternate up my sleeve though , just in case :D

20. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Bug - Hijack!

Nate - What's your '67 bug worth today? I bought one brandy new in September of '67 to for $1,875 with Continetal tires...drove it for 4 years and 100,000mi and sold it to go overseas. It was a great runner, gas was 0.29/gal and you just had to adjust the valves and change oil every 3,000mi.