Engine swap info!!

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by willz66, Jan 14, 2010.

1. willz66

willz66 Member

Wanted to ask,,whats needed to install a LS1 or Z06 engine into a 66 gmc truck? it had an original 305 v-6 big block (yes big block fur those who dont kno lol) auto trans,,i belive was hydro matic? i guess those were the 'ol skoo' before they had the 350 turbo autos..anywho,,on the engine install do i have to get the engine computer harness n install it to the trucks harness or?? im kinda mixxed up n that process,,,the truck has a 350/350 engine/trans right now,,(still project wise) some guidence is much need'd thankyou,,:eek::cool:

2. agb1976

agb1976 Member

I believe its a 5 wire hook up if you use a stand alone pcm. Not 100% sure. I think that several companys also make the motor mounts for the ls series engines as well as transmission cross members. There is a lot of info out there.

3. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

"street Trucks" magazine (november 2009 issue) has an entire write up for putting a 5.3 vortec motor into an older C10... good information, wiring harness supplier etc. you might be able to find a website for them or get a back copy of the magazine.

4. willz66

willz66 Member

wow kewl thank U both,,,im'a check n 2 it,,,:D