Hey guys! new here, this is my 1st post, here is my 87 4x4

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by weider1717, Jun 14, 2009.

1. weider1717

weider1717 Member

Hey guys! really siked over the truck I bought let me give you a little background on it because I know I always enjoy reading about your trucks and what you've done to them etc..

This truck has 63,000 original documented miles on it!

truck is an 87 4x4 with the 350 fuel injection. It has been owned since 1990 by a guy near me who worked with my dad for 30ish years and just retired a couple years ago.

He bought it in 1990 with 26k miles on it. He is a VERY picky person even more so than me. He washed it and blowed it dry with a leaf blower lol and kept the oil changed every 2,500 miles.

he had a note book he gave to me that he wrote down EVERYTHING he done on it. He even wrote down when he filled up with gas and when he switched from tank to tank and wrote down his mileage every fill up! lol crazy right? btw it only gets 14.5ish on avg.

Like I said he changed oil and filter every 2500 miles and greased it he also replaced all hoses, belts, plugs etc. and changed tranny fluid every 15k miles..overkill huh?

options I know of it has GU6 3.42 gears, dual tanks, silverado, 4x4, power windows, locks, ps, air, radio, sliding rear glass etc..

air isn't working btw, neither is the radio which he said he never used.

Has brand new month old 32x11.50 sport king AT tires and also month old true dual flowmaster exhaust. Up until he put that on a month ago it had the regular stock exhaust run out the side. The exahust is true duals and looks like he had them take the cats out since well I don't see any lol. The mufflers are twin flowmaster super 44's they black and I ran the numbers flowmasters site says super 44's. Hope thats not TOO much flow for this truck.

oh ya this truck was re-painted by GM under the clear coat recall in 1991 and the paint still looks great!

is this place part wise better than LMC? I need a new dash pad which place sells one closer to original LMC or here?

[​IMG]
    here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. The Carpenter

The Carpenter Member

Damn - that's a nice truck. Awesome history. I don't know about the dash pad but i would guess Classic Parts - You could call and ask how close the match is to the original.

3. baad

baad Member

nice truck love te blue on blue

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Very nice truck you got . Well here does sell some GM parts but cost more for them. So it depends what you want, what they have left what you can live with.

5. vman

vman Member

Sharp truck.They're getting harder and harder to find in nice condition.I had an 87 longbed 4x4 that was that color but had a white insert.Always wanted to change that to dark blue.I wonder about your mileage.Mine was 350 auto. with 4.10 axles.It got that in town and 22-24 on the highway.

6. punisher 74'

punisher 74' Member

nice truck, im new to only one thing when do we get pic of it when its been driven. lol too clean for me. im more of a flat black guy....

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

Can you tell me how to start a new post? Im new at this forum..

Can you tell me how to start a new post.?

8. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Hi Jeff . Go back to the main forum the to what ever forum You want like 73-87 , Click on that . then top left corner Click new thread . Hope that helps . Nice truck & welcome BTW . Bob

9. BeeThousand

BeeThousand Member

Sharp truck! Really dig the blue on blue. Lucky to have such nice paint!

10. weider1717

weider1717 Member

thanks for all the nice replies.

11. royrey

royrey Member

Timing settings?

Well you look like you know what your doing with chevy trucks, very nice one. Can you tell me how in a step by step how to set the timing on my 87 chevy. Its the HEI and they say I have to disconnect that part to set the timing at zero and rehook it back up? From how nice yours looks I was betting you would know just how to do this.
    Thank You for any info here, I will post some pics of mine soon as I get the timing done with.
    thanks
    Roy:rolleyes:

12. David Hall

David Hall Member

Very nice truck.

The GM dash pads are still available ($325) from your local dealer. By the time you pay for aftermarket with oversized shipping and handling, not to mention the quality and fit, in my opinion GM is the way to go.

13. weider1717

weider1717 Member

really? pretty sure I checked before they can always said it's discontinued and I can't get it anymore...

where did you get yours? what dealership?