248 gmc leaks oil from valve cover louvers

Discussion in 'Classic Parts of America Talk' started by ad54gmc, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ad54gmc

ad54gmc Member

My 248 engine in a 54 gmc 100 leaks oil from the two top louvers on the valve cover. There is nothing to stop the oil from coming out. Is there supposed to be some sort of filter and if so, do you know where I can get one?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rockerbox Leaks

As long as the Road Draft tube is open , I just pinch 'em shut then braze....

They're supposed to leak .

Welcome to 1940's Technology .

3. ad54gmc

ad54gmc Member

I'm also getting alot of oil leaking from the road draft tube. The oil fill cap leaks (even after doubling the gasket) and oil is constantly leaking down the tube and dripping where ever I stop.

I modified the valve cover by putting an a/c filter (similar to a scotch pad but thicker) under the louvers. That has stopped the leak from the open valve cover louvers but not from the combination road draft-oil fill tub.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oil Leaks

O.K. , either you're over speeding the engine or the rings are failing ~ does it smoke much ? .

There's a very good forum for your truck on this site , the AD section , '47 ~ '54
    give it a try ,the guys there know everything about your old Jimmy .

5. ad54gmc

ad54gmc Member

NATE,

Thanks, I'll give that a try. No burning oil or smoke, the engine was just rebuilt.