Drive shaft lenght

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Hotrodkilroy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Hotrodkilroy

Hotrodkilroy Member

Does any one have a listing or referance for driveshaft lengths ? I have a 250 cu in with a 350 th tranny. in a 66 . the drive shaft our of the 1974 donor truck is 2" to long (57") and the orginal drive shaft (3 speed) is about 6" to long. i realize i can have them shortened . But is there a vehicle that will work a donor ?? Kilroy was here!!!!

2. drabo

drabo Member

I'm not sure about that but it cost me about $100 bucks to have mine shortened, balanced and new U-joints. And that was Alaska prices.

3. willz66

willz66 Member

idk if this helps but my truck had the 305 big block n i believe the hydro matic which wuz the same lenght as a power glide,,is wut i did the engine n trans was gone when i bought it,,i installed a 350/350 outta a 72 chevy truck,,measured from the splines of the trans,,to the bak of the u joint of the axle,,n i thnk it wuz round 58-59 inches? mabye 60 but i measured the aprox lenght n found a mid 90's suburban with the exact 'mock up' mesurements and bought it fur 50 buxxs from a wrecking yrd,,it fits right up n thrr,,i gotta buy a new u joint yoke fur the rear tho but the rest is actually or seems to fit snug not tight not loose so i may have struck it rich! hahhaa,,,hope that helps n wow i write alot good luck!!:cool:

4. Vin63

Vin63 Member

For the price these days, I would really recommend taking the time to measure for one (either a new shaft or shortening one you have). A driveshaft is not something you want to settle or compromise. My .02 cents.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Can't argue with that logic.

Measure the distance from Yoke-to-Yoke and tell the machine shop HOW you measured it.

I had mine shortened for a 700 R4, new U-joints, balanced & painted for $100.

Dval

6. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

Dont forget to measure it with all tires on the ground and the truck fully assembled, if you leave parts off it will lighten the usuall load of the truck and can cause some seriouse damage to the tranny or diff down the road.

7. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Kilroy I have to agree the words but if you’re going to use a used shaft make sure there is on dents or the mounts for the u joints are not bent or the shaft.

Question the 250 straight 6 w/350 TH what your wheel base? is it a one piece shaft the then you can go look for car or truck's with a same so you can get one close or the same as you need but you may still need it cut down. But if you shaft is longer and good then it might be cheaper better to use it unless you want to keep it so you can switch back factory set up. All was get new u joints grease them before installing drive shaft.
    Good luck.

8. Hotrodkilroy

Hotrodkilroy Member

I ended up cutting down the driveshaft out of the 86. Cost about 50 bucks and works great. I didnt cut up the 66 shaft for senimental reasons. cant bear to cut up old Kilroy was here!!!!!