6 lug disc brakes all round??

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by willz66, Jan 23, 2010.

1. willz66

willz66 Member

idk if this has been asked or wut,,my 66 gmc has drums all round,,did u guys happen to see an upgrade kit fur 6 lug disc brakes and hardware that bolts into these trucks? idk if its possible the kit i thnk wud be round a few thousands mabye? again im jus thnk'n bout it,,rather than go to a wrecking yrd n pull parts from a later truck n so on,,,:confused:

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

http://www.earlyclassic.com

They have everything you need, i did mine including a 6" drop for $1400. Id advise while your there, ball joints and tie rodz.

3. willz66

willz66 Member

ok kewl thanks,,yea i wuz looking online last night,,i thnk i saw the kit fur 1400 or so like u said,,,so that includes swap'n the rear drums fur discs? or idk if u gotta swap the actuall axles,,or wut,,but wud b a awesome set up,,n still keep 6 lug fur newer rims n tires,,which i wud like,,;)

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

No that will just cover the front.

BUT, rear disk brakes on a pickup will do little to increase braking performance. Unless you want to spend your money for "bling" stay with the drums and rebuild those.
    Unlike converting the front to disk brakes, that will improve stopping distance by 30%, rear disk conversions do little for the money spent. They just look cool...

DV

5. willz66

willz66 Member

oooooooo ahhha ok actually that makes a lil more sense,,cuz theres really no weight n the bak of the back of these trucks anyways right?....so it shud be half of 1400 fur a front set up outta a catalog? or under 1,000 at least fur basic set up?:confused:

6. Vin63

Vin63 Member

...the advantages of rear disc brakes really only come into play if you're hauling or pulling heavy loads and need additional repeatable (no fade) braking performance, and/or if you are servicing your rear axles or differential frequently as in a racing application. I would rebuild your drums and apply the money elsewhere.

7. willz66

willz66 Member

yea im'a jus probabley do that,,fur now,,,thanxxx fur the info dewds,,,:cool:

8. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

check out early classics web site and youll see what all is included, they have a few different kits to choose from, mine was about $1400, but remember that was a few years ago and thanks to greedy politicians and inflation the price may be higher presently. it included front drop spindles, calipers, rotors, drop springs frt and rear, shocks, shock relocation brkts for rear, brake lines, dual master, proportioning valve, pan hard bar and brckts, rear axle u bolts, and a few things im sure im forgetting. while performing this part of the project i also included (for additional $) tie rodz, ball joints, brake booster and rear drum rebuild kit.

9. willz66

willz66 Member

i will look into it,,but my trucks got the leaf springs n bak,,,its still the 1/2 ton short bed,,but idk why my yr came with leaf springs its like a double pack look'n leaf,,but o welps,,,i wuz jus gunna install 22's on it later on n leave the suspension all stock,,:)