66 gmc truck body swap?? question.....

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by willz66, Jan 30, 2010.

1. willz66

willz66 Member

my brothers gotta 4x4 CJ-7 jeep,,i wuz looking at the frame and it looks like my truck body n bed wud fit it,,possibly,,,does anyone kno if thrrs a truck frame that the earlier chevy/gmc short bed truck bodys wud bolt too with as lil of modification as possible? if so let me kno thankyou.....:confused:

2. 2tons of fun

2tons of fun Member

you do realise that a cj7 is about 20" shorter wheel base than the shortes chevy right?

and the jeeps run the lightest weakest running gear next to a kia.

and that jeep axles are about 6" narrower than a chevy.

and they have really cheezy light weight frames.......

3. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

Jeeps are excellent for what they are built for as long as you stay away from anything modern such as anything after 2002 like grands, libertys and all that stuff, they are not good for anything more then daily drivers, i tell you this as a previous dodge-chysler-jeep mechanic. the boxy cherokee sports are the choice offroad hobby of my wifes.

BUT NO!! you do not want to put your truck body on a jeep. its not worth the work. you can draft your truck on to a later model half ton, anything is possible if you know how to measure, cut, and weld.

4. willz66

willz66 Member

LOL yea i kno guys!!!! it wuz a thought,,but i do belive pplz have used K-5 blazer frames fur the swaps right? (60-66 chevy/gmc trucks)

5. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I would just go with the mid 70's 1/2 ton Chevy although I think they are a couple inches longer but I don't think it's something that can't be worked with.

6. willz66

willz66 Member

so wut mabye 67-72 chevy/gmc then?? i kno were more of those yrs R than my 66 hehe,,,as long as thrrs really no cab or front or bed/front end problems,,but not sure bout measurements yet,,,on cab locations really,,btw luv the older chevy u got photo'd thrr!! awesome dewd!!!!!! u gunna shot it all yellow or?:)

7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Yeah eventually it will be all yellow. It's one of those life long projects ,about 31 years now. The paint that's on it now is about 25 years old. Thanks for the compliments.

8. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

just find a 67-87 4x4 1/2 ton chevy and take all the 4x4 stuff off (complete front axle, leafs, mounts, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, etc.) it will all bolt directly onto your frame after you remove your front cross member & A arms... you will also need to cut a hole in your floor for the 4x4 shifter.

do a little research on google... 2wd to 4wd conversion. Its been done 1000 times before!

don't use a jeep.

9. willz66

willz66 Member

dewd with yellow chevy truck UR WELCOME i luv that truck mang its DOPE!!,still looks gud fur that old of paint btw,,,and the other dewd bout the swap to 67-72 4x4 thanks a bunch fur the info i will look into it,,i kno were sum 2WD's r at,,by chance do u kno if the cab,,front ,,n bed wud fit the frame of a 67-72?? without all the swap'n stuff to my truck? let me kno thankyou...IM START'N 2 LUV THIS FORUM HEHE!:D

10. 2tons of fun

2tons of fun Member

67-72 are going to be the easiest to swap to, the frame at the cab is dead flat like yours is, 73+ has a step in the frame and the forward cab mount and the rad support are 3-7" lower than the rear cab mount set on a single layer bushing. the 73 also has the rear cab mount inside tha frame instaed of outside like yours is.

x2 get all the brackets, springs, crossmembers, motor mounts and steering stuff cut off and 73+ and mount them to your frame.

11. willz66

willz66 Member

alright then so jus swap'n stuff to mine is easier n a sense? thanxxx dewd im'a look into it soon..:cool: