Coil Spring Question

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by gulffishin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. gulffishin

gulffishin Member

I have a 64 C10, and am about to start working on the suspension. It is currently lowered, and since I use the truck as a truck, I want to return it to the stock ride height and possibly beef up the suspension some. My question is: Can I put 3/4 ton coil springs on the rear without any mods, or should I just go with the 1/2 tons?

2. markeb01

markeb01 Member

I don't know if the 3/4 ton springs will fit, but unless you're going to have the bed loaded most of the time or hauling excessive loads regularly, I'd recommend installing 1/2 ton springs. The ride with stock 1/2 ton springs is pretty darn rough when the bed is empty.

3. gulffishin

gulffishin Member

OK, thanks, sounds like the 1/2 ton springs are what I want. I won't be doing any real heavy hauling, just firewood, lumber and maybe towing a relatively light boat trailer (3500lbs or so).

4. dado

dado Member

I purchased a stock set from our host the diameter of the material is larger I think you will be happy with them I would call them a 5/8 ton spring clean & shiny however my truck uses 4&1/2 inch long bolts half sizes in grade 8 are hard to acquire in Ga.

5. Vin63

Vin63 Member

Do you have a spring shop that does custom spring sets near you? I helped a customer with a custom set of progressive (or what some call variable rate) coil springs...I think some vendors offer variable rate rear coils spring for our trucks, now. Anyway, the spring rate increases as it is compressed, allowing for a softer rate with no load, but as the load increases and the spring is compressed the spring rate increases. This type of spring might be better for your application.

6. markeb01

markeb01 Member

I'd forgotten about that. About 10 years ago I bought "stock replacement" springs for my 1/2 ton short bed. The wire was much bigger than my original springs, and were so stiff they didn't bounce at all. I pitched them out and went back to the originals for many more years before having custom springs wound. I can't be sure, but probably bought them from Chevy Duty (now Classic Parts) since I've always bought most of my parts from them. If you want to haul stuff they may be exactly what you want. You might contact them and ask them to measure the wire diameter, so you'll know what to expect.

7. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If you purchase drop coils and shocks from a reputable vendor, you can still use your truck as a truck.

Trouble happens with cut coils which, with the price of drop coils being so inexpensive, should never be done in my opinion.

You CAN have a lowered truck and better suspension if it's done correctly.

dv

8. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

i 2nd that motion