Floor Shift v 3 On Da Tree

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Boondawg, May 15, 2002.

1. Boondawg

Boondawg Member

Anyone know of a good aftermarket floor shift kit with a long stick to replace the exsisting collum {sic} shift on my 1963 230ci.Chevy truck? Is it a good idea (i like floor shifts) or is it gonna be more trouble then rebuilding the collum {sic} shift {which i never liked).
    Keeping the truck original is not a concern of mine,and cutting a hole in the floor pan don't confront me none,as long as the cab does'nt try to take flight above 65mph!Have any of you guys made this switch,or is this sacralege?{sic}(against the Chevy Gods and common sense)
    Thanx in advance from the new meat on the block,
    Boondawg@alaska.com

2. LostinAl35986

LostinAl35986 Member

I really don't know I've been thinking the same thing. I've got a 60 and a 62 chevy. The 62 has a hole cut in the pan already were someone was going to do it but didn't. i'm trying to drop a 350 in it , if I ever get it back from being painted . LostinAl35986

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

I'm trying to decide on 3 on the tree or floor shift. any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks
    Cowboy

4. Boondawg

Boondawg Member

Yo Cowboy,
    PepBoys Has got a kind of universal one for around $65 bucks.
    I found THEE best one from Hurst.
    Name: Hurst Indy Qualifier
    Part Number:5010018
    Price:$135.99(gulp)
    Suppose to have a nice tall chrome stick with your standard black ball
    Their Words: "This is the ideal shifter for the colum conversions and includes all required hardware"
    Im Gett'in mine Monday.(anybody got a better idea?)
    That kind of money sure cuts in to my "Recreational Ingestables" x(
    (if thats spelled wrong,there working!)
    Hope this helps.
    Boondawg@alaska.com
    "On a long enough timeline,everyones survival rate drops to zero"
    ~Fight Club~

5. jmiyashi66

jmiyashi66 Member

My advice to all of you if you want a floor shift transmission, I would find a 4spd out of a 73-88 chevy pick-up from a junkyard these are bullet proof(bolts right in). Or you find yourself a Saginaw or Munci 4 spd used or new and put a Hurst Competition Plus floor shifter, this would make it really nice, and it is easy to do(bolts right in).

Or if you want to get really creative you could just put a Turbo 350, 400, or 700R4 automatic tranny it with a floor shifter. I am doing this to my 66 Chev(Turbo 350 with a shift kit).

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

i have a 4spd tranny but i also got a 3spd for on the column. i was trieing to find out some of the pros and cons of each but i have decided to go with 4 on the floor. where can i get a new or used muncie 4spd.
    cowboy

7. jmiyashi66

jmiyashi66 Member

Cowboy,

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but here in Montana, a Muncie can be hard to come by. If you live in an area, where there is a auto parts swap meet or a lot of classic car shows, that is where I would start looking first then junk yards. You may be able to pick one up for around $175- $350. I think that PAW(PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE WHOLESALERS I don't know the website) sells them, but don't quote me on that, and I think that Summit or JEGS might have them as well. A new one can get pretty spendy I have seen them as high as $1500. I don't know for sure, I have not been in the market for one in a long time. I have been working with Automatics mostly, because of cost and ease to work on. Or you could look into a T5 5spd tranny out of a Camaro, Summit about $1300-1500.

I hope that this helps.

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

the t5 tranny is the shifter on the very back of the tranny or is it like the tranny i have in. the shifter is in the middle
    cowboy

9. 65_C10

65_C10 Member

HI,

I just got over this problem. You can get a B&M Truck megashifter with a tall base for 161.99 i was going to do this but B&M also makes a star shifter which funtions just like the mega-shifter but when you have it locked in low, you can pull the trigger and convert it to a ratchet shifter (very handy for quick shifts with-out pushing to far into reverse) It comes with 5 feet of cable and only cost 141.99. onmly thing is unlike the truck mega shifter the base isnt as tall so i had to modifiy the base just a little to make it tall enough for me to reach it mounted perfectly infront of my new seats
    ( www.salesco.com ) both the mega shifter and the starshifter come with reverse lockout but the star shifter didnt come with a backup light switch so i jerryrigged my own, well that should help now some of you guysd need to respond to my post and help me out lol

os dont you guys think B&M should pay me something for all this advertising im doin for 'em lol

james

ps the star shifter only works with forward pattern three speeds, the mega shifter works with 3 and 4 speeds reverse and forward patterns but doesnt have the ratchet shift mode

10. jmiyashi66

jmiyashi66 Member

Cowboy,

The T5 shifter is in the back of the Tranny, so you may need to do some modifications to you floor pan. Also, I think that Hurst, makes a shifter kit for the T5, that curls the handle forward, to clear your bucket seat.

11. Skippys62

Skippys62 Member

Not really onthe topic, but where are you from in montana? Im from missoula, and I know that even though there are lots of those old trucks in the junkyard, some parts are hard to come by. Is there anywhere else around there that you know of to get decent parts? If you know please email me at Skippys81@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Pat}>