The Latest Newbie

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by 55 Stepside, Feb 10, 2010.

1. 55 Stepside

55 Stepside Member

Hello to All,

Well, I brought my '55 home on Monday! (See Avatar & photobucket.) This is my first truck, but I have done about 10 other vehicles over the last 40 years (mostly Chevy). This is my retirement project.

This is pretty new territory for me, so I was really glad to find this forum. I thought I had bought a 1/2 ton (shortbed), but when I looked under the rear there are 2 stacks of leaf springs on each side (one on top of the other), so I don't know if it's a 1/2 ton or not. If somebody can shed some light, I would be grateful. If it's a 3/4 ton, I'd also like to know about any other differences between the two.

Since I bought her as a "kit", and many pieces are missing (seat, all heater stuff, windshield, headlight bucket, rear window, instrument cluster, fusebox & wiring, horns, rear bumper brackets, interior door panels, kick panels, outside mirrors, etc.), I've decided that she'll be modified. The worst is that I have no wiper stuff at all, from the motor to the transmissions to the switch. But before I have to worry about that, I've got a lot of sheet metal work to do. Amazingly, the floor is pretty good (a few pinholes, but should be patchable). Someone has done a good job of replacing one of the outer back corners, but not the inner. I hope changing out the inner corner can be done with the outer in place. Can anyone comment on this?

Anyway, glad to meet all of you. I spent Sunday going over all 23 pages of posts, so I know you guys/gals know what you're doing!

2. I.F. 59 Apache

I.F. 59 Apache Member

Sounds like a great project. Both of my 59's have had two sets of springs. The top set are overloads. Pretty much if you have 6 lugs you are at 1/2 ton. the numbering was 31 & 32 for half ton short and long box and 34 and 36 for 3/4 ton. I have an extra gauge cluster and deluxe heater that would work for your truck. I have also done a ton of research on wiper stuff so if you would like to talk sometime I can help you out. :)

have a great day.

Derek

3. 55 Stepside

55 Stepside Member

I.F.:

Thanks for the response. I have 6 lugs, so I guess I'm 1/2 ton (3100). I'll be going with a custom cluster and Vintage Air, so I won't need the parts you mentioned. Thanks for the offer though.

The wiper components are a different story. I have a spare '55 Chevy sedan electric motor, and I hope it fits my truck. I mostly need the linkage and transmissions.

The good news is, it's early yet. I've got a year's worth of welding, bodywork and painting (at the rate I work).

All the Best,

4. kabwe

kabwe Member

Looks to be a very solid truck, good luck with her.

5. 55 Stepside

55 Stepside Member

mkabwe,

It's interesting that you have a similar truck project, and that you have a completed '55 Chev sedan. I do as well! Thanks for the encouraging words. I can't wait for the weather to break so I can be comfortable without paying a fortune for heat.