computer drifting

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Feb 3, 2010.

1. coilover

coilover Member

I am asking a question and I now know what the new guys that open with "this may be a silly question" feel. My computer is a 2003 model which I guess is ancient but has always been in a clean environment and not used nearly as much as some. What I have noticed is the final bulls eye that you put the arrow over to turn it off has been drifting on both the X and Y axis for several months now. It drifts as much as 0.147 on the X axis and 0.997 on the Y axis. Is this an indication that something is amiss? It is a machine and if one of the spindles on my mill or lathe had 1/100 of these numbers in runnout it would mean attention is imperative. I guess I'll either learn something or give the savvy guys a good chuckle. Thank you; Evan

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

wow, you are a bit anal about this. As long as it works, leave it alone. Yes, a 2003 is considered ancient. In modern comp. world, 4 years is considered an extended life. If it is running slow, you can try downloading a free version of crap cleaner.....just do a search. It will clean out all those temp files that websites like to sneak in on you.

Word of advice....when you buy a new computer, get the best you can possibly get, it will last longer until being completely obsolete.

3. Scubanero

Scubanero Member

CRT display right? It is the electron gun controls that are going off. The screen alignment bushings need to be replaced,:D but it would be cheaper to buy a new computer. Your CPU is probably fine, but if the screen goes, you can't do anything anyway. Just make sure that your data files are backed up somewhere.

4. booger

booger Member

if its just the screen just buy another monitor . you can get those fairly cheap just like a GMC!!:D

5. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Service????

When did you last have your computer serviced? you will find that if the x & y axis has got movement then your CRT bearings are shot. if you had kept them greased up they would be fine. Also as it an older model it will have valves, when did you last adjust these? you could also check the tracking of your mouse if you have pointer steering problems.

6. coilover

coilover Member

I wish that ya'll (that's Texan) wouldn't heap so much abuse on me so close to Valentines Day.

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Computers? Whatever!

I've said for 20 plus years that computers are a passing fad and still believe it! That's why I keep a stock pile of No. 2 pencils and Big Chief pads!;) Long live those who still know how to do "long division"! And bravo to those (Me) who still write checks to pay bills!:cool:

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Write me a check. My name is Bill.

9. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

Air Pressure

Take the cover of and take the air hose to it. These thinks collect dust. Just dont blow the fans long. 100-psi will really spin them fast. It may not fix it but it is satisfaction to see the dust go. The CRT monitors collect dust also.

10. brit 50

brit 50 Member

long division???? aint that when you split a log length ways? with the grain!

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

?? Hm ??

I'm not supposed to be using checks anymore ?? :confused: why not ? .

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I often found myself drifting in school....thinking bout hot rods and old trucks. I liked to color the drawings I did and try different paint jobs. Red as always a favorite, but now is overdone........wait, what was the question???

13. jasonmilsont

jasonmilsont Member

If your computer rabbit glides, you can adhere to the guidelines below to fix it: One, you need to fresh the trackpoint, or exchange it with another. When the trackpoint is used for a lengthy time.