Stripping (no not like that)

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by MikeRS17, Aug 5, 2002.

1. MikeRS17

MikeRS17 Member

Hey guys, I would like to know what works best to strip paint off of my 60 pickup

2. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

First of all, there is probably no way that you will enjoy any part of stripping your '60(so be prepared). If you aren't taking any of the body panels off of the truck, I would suggest simply using aircraft remover or another methylene chloride based stripper. One can(1 qt.)goes pretty far. It would probably do the hood and one front fender. This way is, of course, very time consuming and since you are dealing with tons o' chemicals, not very pleasant. Traditional sanding is unbelievably slow, so I try to avoid it. If you are disassembling the body, it might be worth the money to have somebody proffesionally media blast the panels. Make sure nobody sandblasts them because they will warp and possibly get ruined from the heat. Sorry, that's all the advice I can give you. I don't really know any tricks or shortcuts when it comes to paint removal, but somebody else may be able to help. Good Luck.
    R.K. TrustyRusty65

3. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

I had great results from a product called Citristrip. It's an orange slime that you brush over the paint, then about 20 minutes later you can see the goop lifting the paint right off the metal. While it's still slimy, use a putty knife to scrape the goop off, the paint will come with it (you may have to do a second coat to remove the primer). I had tons of rust to take off, so I skipped the second coat and just went after the trouble spots with a wire cup brush on a grinder.

BTW, rusty parts can be saved with Rust-Mort (concentrated phosphoric acid) which converts it back to iron. Both of these products emit toxic gases when they're doing their business, so be careful.

"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog

4. Craig

Craig Guest

Try using Aircraft stripper that comes in the cans.It works great and makes it easy to do small sections.

5. MikeRS17

MikeRS17 Member

Ok, so now where do I get the stripper from?

6. Craig

Craig Guest

Usually your local auto parts will carry it,but if they don't check a auto paint supplier.

7. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

Aircraft stripper can be found just about anywhere. I buy Klean-Strip KS-3 Stripper at Lowe's for about six bucks a can. That citristrip stuff that hedgehog recommended sounds pretty good since regular aircraft stripper makes really nasty,heavy fumes. Maybe give it a try. Once more, good luck! TrustyRusty65