Truck Theft

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by David, Jan 22, 2002.

1. David

David Member

Hey everyone,

Early this morning I got a rude awakening from my family saying my truck was broken into.I ran out and saw that my passenger wing window was busted out. I found the thief's screwdriver on the floorboard,that destroyed the ignition switch :-( Thankgod I had a kill switch, otherwise my truck wouldn't be here right now. Has any of you guy's had this problem were you live? Tommorrow i'm ordering new pair of wing windows from ChevyDuty!!!

Concerned owner
    David

2. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Butch60stp
    Good thing you had the kill switch!I have not had anyone attempt to steal my truck, but someone did manage to steal the shifting levers off of the side of my transmission. Nowadays, at night I keep the truck inside of a fenced in back yard with cars blocking the driveway.

3. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

The same thing happened to me. They managed to open the vent window without breaking it, they just broke the handle off. Luckily, I also had a kill switch, so they couldn't take it. They did break open the glove box and take my stereo. I was really pissed. To this day, I can't lock the glove box.

Regards,
    Arizona64

4. 1965_Hybrid

1965_Hybrid Member

Fortunetly my truck is a little squirlley and loud so anyone taking my truck would give themselves away and be "dealt with". Good call with that kill switch. Any idea where i could pick up one? I dont' live in a dangerous town but i still don't want my truck jacked.
    Matt

5. David

David Member

Hey Matt,

I bought a switch, and connectors at Pepboys. Then you'll need to get some black wire from your local hardware store. This should be under $20.00 for the whole project.

First things first, disconnect the battery before installation.

When you install the kill switch, put it in a spot were no one would find it. I mounted it first, then I proceeded to run the wires.

From the positive terminal, run the main wire through the radiator brace, under the regulator and up along the wire harness on the left inner fender, then in through the fire wall to were you have mounted the kill switch. Then run the second wire back through the fire wall down the wire harness to the terminal marked "BATT", on the voltage regulator. Make sure the 2 wires have a little slack, and are not to tight.

I used a ribbed wire harness cover, covered the harness wires on the inner fender to "hide" the extra 2 wires. You can't tell that the truck has one.:D
    Good Luck!!

David

6. 1965_Hybrid

1965_Hybrid Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm off work for the next two days so i suppose i've got a little project ahead of me. What exactly does the kill switch do. I'm sure it won't harm my engine but how does it work?

Matt

7. 62gmc4x4

62gmc4x4 Member

it disconnects your battery just like you had pulled one wire off the battery terminal.
    Does anyone know if this would work on the ground wire? that way would be safer as far as a short down the road.

8. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

That's one way to set up a kill switch. The other way is to set it up directly behind your ignition switch. When the switch is engaged, then engine will turn, but not start. Just cuts off the line to the distributor. This is simpler, and effective. Same effect as pulling out center distributor cable. Any toggle switch will work. Whole thing will cost you about 5 bucks.

Check out the Chevy Portal at:
    http://www.geocities.com/chevyportal

Regards,
    Arizona64}>

9. Skippys62

Skippys62 Member

Hey there david. Those trucks are so easy to break into its unbelieveable. All you have to do is stick a hangar through the bottom of the wing window and turn the handle. My ignition was screwed up when I bought the truck, still is. If somebody wanted to bad enough, they could have my truck in about 15 seconds. Thanks for the idea about the kill switch. Never really tought about it. But my friends that know that is how you get into it have moved it on me a few times, and I automatically thought it was stolen. I know how you feel, bud.

Skippy:'(

10. kowboye

kowboye Member

Whe I first bought my truck someone had taken a drill to the outside door lock and tried to break in. What I did was went to the best locksmith in town and had him redo the the tumblers then reinstalled the door handles.

About two years after I Bought the truck someone broke the vent handle got inside and stole one door speaker. Tried for the stereo. Must have run out of time. Then opened the hood and stole the aircleaner.

Frankly the whole theft was a joke as all the stuff to fix it was umder fifty bucks.What made me made was replacement of the vent glass and window. And the time to do it.

So here is what I do. Considering the time it takes to fix the glass and the cost. I leave it open. Then what I did was got a dome light out of a lincoln continental the custom one with special reading lights on both sides of the light. Then mounted a door switch near the hinge so when the drivers door opens the dome light comes on. It is quite bright. Enough to scare someone off. I then installed ignition cut off switch. And most impotant the Club steering bar lock. I found a special on at the flea market with a funny locking star key so it cannot be clayed and reproduced. Finally a locking gas cap is nice so if then do steal it they will not go far.

I have not had any problems since then. Of course I live in the country so leaving it open is OK. Otherwise I would have all the stuff I just talked about and lock up.

Intreasting story on theft; My girlfriend had her Nissan pickup stolen about a month after she bought it. The cops told us it was in Mexico being cut up with a blow torch. We recovered it about a month later. Turned out a guy working at the Car wash was checking registrations claying keys then drive by the persons house at night to see if the car was out in the open.

There you go auto theft one.

I love P.O. Boxes, would'ent you agree?

11. EJ1966

EJ1966 Member

What would be the best way to make sure that your truck doesn't get stolen?. What good is restoring the classic if you are to cautious to drive it to the lake Sunday afternoon with your family?.That makes me so angry.

12. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Alarms are a good means to deter skum sucking perps. One of the best are hidden kill switches. Hooked to an HEI distributer the truck just won't start. The best I had was hooked to an electric fuel pump on a 57 BelAir I once had. When thown, the car would start but die at about 20 feet. ( I know because I was always forgeting to throw the switch to the RUN position).

Dennis

13. sir50r

sir50r Member

RE: Truck Theft, Lincoln Light

Kowboye,
    I liked your idea of swapping the original cab light with one from a Lincoln so I went to the salvage yard yesterday and tried the same thing. The Lincoln light grounds automtically by securing it to the cab. This causes the center light to remain on at all times. I'm trying to configure it to wire into the original light harness through the light switch. How did you configure the wiring to connect through the door switch (I procured those too) to come on and off with the opening and closing of the door. My goal is to have the center light come on and off with either the light switch and the door switch and the map light come on at any point. Any help would be appreciated.