C20 or C30 front end swap

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cssreb, Aug 12, 2002.

1. cssreb

cssreb Member

Hi everyone..

Thanks Chevy Duty for this great Forum..

I have seen several messages posted regarding swapping the front suspension of a c10 (1/2 ton) chevy with a newer year 70's front end. Is this also possible with a 3/4 or a 1 ton front end swap? Can a 3/4 or 1 ton be swapped to my 65 LongHorn (3/4 or 1 ton)?

Another question: I have been told that I have a 1 ton because the truck has a 9 foot step side (not the 6 or 8 foot)thus making the truck a 1 ton. Is this true?

Thanks again!!!
    Russ

2. bk65

bk65 Member

Hey Russ!

I can't help you with info on the front end swap, but I do have info on yer 9 foot bed. According the 65 Chevrolet sales brochure, the 9ft stepside bed was the C3604 model, which was part of the C30, or 1 ton family of trucks. According the the brochure (which do contain wrong info from time to time), the only C30 model with a bed was the 9 ft stepside. It shows no listing for a C30 fleetside model or an eight foot (long) or six and one-half foot (short) stepside model. The factory shop manual shows that all C30 (or more accurately the C36 series) all had 133 inch wheelbase. If this info matches up to your truck, then you've got yourself a true C-30 series or one-ton truck. Also, your serial number should start with C3.

Hope this helps.

3. cssreb

cssreb Member

Hey bk65..

Thanks for the info on my C30 (which I think I might start calling my C36). It does have the 133 inch wheelbase! Glad to hear that she is a 1 ton because she has hauled more than that!

Thanks again for the info.. I guess its time to p/u the sales brochure.

Regards, Russ