53 Chevy 3100 Pics

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by codyfox, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

What a great thread!

We've gone from brakes to degreasing, to bumpers, to Kens 50 bashing from a couple of Chevy wanabe's (and you know who you are, Bill and Zig), to tranny cooling, etc, etc. Now back to business. Cody, brakes, again, #1 concern, #1 priority! Check for tell-tale signs, such as leaks at the wheels, spots on the garage flooor, etc. If you see leaks, what color are they, as they can tell you what fluid is leaking. Be very aware of "post-year mods". Remember that everything is engineered for a reason. Stuff can be modified, but make sure that it has sound engineering principles supporting it!

Cosmetics ALWAYS come after good, sound engineering. Let's tackle your bumper issues now. I still think that you have a front bumper on the back of your truck. Try this: Measure from the outer-most bumper bolt to the end of your bumper. Front bumper should measure approximately 8 1/4" give or take. Rear bumper should be approximately 5 1/2".

Here's a few pics that I took yesterday showing the front and back.

AD Acc. 001.jpg

AD Acc. 002.jpg

AD Acc. 003.jpg

AD Acc. 004.jpg

AD Acc. 005.jpg

Remember, safety first! Hope this helps.

Ken

2. Zig

Zig Member

Okay, brother...

That worked for me!:rolleyes:

I gotta admit~ That is one beautiful truck, Ken!;)

3. codyfox

codyfox Member

What's up!!

Yes, we are switching subjects but it's good for me because I like to hear all the information I can. Brakes are definitely a priority!

I took out all the wiring and putting the wiring harness in the next week. Tranny fixed and new seals and bezel.

I really think I have 2 front bumpers. They look exactly alike. Going to take them off and see if there is a difference.

I do need to get a fan shroud!! I took out the A/C fan in front of radiator, compressor, and dryer. Going to mount the tranny cooler where the fan was on the radiator bracket. ( I believe I can mount it there with no problem.)

Hope you all have a great weekend!! Anyone know of the best Car shows in Texas and when??

Cody

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

You can upgrade to dual master cyl. relatively cheaply without changing much else just for safety. The idea is that you will almost certainly have at least 2 wheel brakes if something fails. I used a mustang II MC and adapter from our host with all the original drum brakes on mine. Sorry to contribute to the possible overwhelming syndrome. Nice truck. I'm sure you'll have unlimited fun with it.

5. codyfox

codyfox Member

Well, I gutted most of my cab so I can install the following.. Wiring Harness, new stereo, glove box, recondition bench, prime, and put Jute down on floor...

[​IMG]

70% done with wiring. Just need to buy the gauges and finish wiring the inside. Today was a long day, working on it from 8am-5pm... Sometimes it's good when the family is away...

[​IMG]

6. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Is that a foot gas pedal ? :eek: Big Tim :D

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Foot Gas Pedal

SURF'S UP DUDE ! :p

I remember those things from the 60's , they even had a tiny one for the dipper switch...

Cody , be aware that using Jute or any other open cell insulation on the floor is a really bad idea because it holds the moisture in and causes rust.... :eek:

Be aware that when you mount a tranny cooler or AC Condensor etc. , it should have at least 1'4" clearance between it and the radiator .

That jazz about pusher fans being in efficient is an Urban Myth , take a look under the hood of any modern car and whaddya see ? a pusher fan , this on pollution controlled hot boxes that can't afford marginal cooling .

I deleted the stock fan on my '49 years ago and installed a pusher fan , it never overheats , not even overloaded and going 75 in Death Valley....

Your truck is looking good .

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

9. codyfox

codyfox Member

Hey, what's up

Thanks a bunch...

10. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Cody you can mount the trans cooler on the front of the radiator, what Nate is saying is make sure there's a 1/4" clearance between the radiator and the cooler so the air can flow around and in between the two. You can do this with a couple of washers for spacers. What I like to do on the floor boards is get a quart of Rustolium primer ( Wallmart for 8 bucks ) and brush it on so that you have a thick coating. Then go down to the hardware store and get a roll of hot water heater insulation ( the stuff that's shiney silver on both sides and looks like it's quilted) This stuff wont absorb any moister and will insulate well. It's easy to cut just use scissors. You can glue it or just lay it in. I hope this helps...Big Tim :cool:

11. codyfox

codyfox Member

ahhh

Tim,
    For some reason I thought he wrote 1' 1/4'' clearance and I was like, how the heck can that work..Sorry must've been tired eyes..

Thanks for the information. It's good to get everyones input and apply it to what I want.

Cody

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx tim !

I did write 1 foot 4 inches :rolleyes: I don't typ so gud :p

What Tim said is what you should do .

13. Wolf

Wolf Member

Cool! Keep up the good work!!

14. codyfox

codyfox Member

Thanks Wolf.
    Wiring harness is good to go, Transmission cooler is mounted. Everything was moving on strong until I drove it around the block. I came back and when I turned it off, it seemed like it never wanted to cut off. Once it did, It took me a little bit but finally started back up but sounded like it was flooded. More light blue smoke was coming out of tail pipes and then some light black smoke. Was thinking about the oil and also maybe could be my old carburetor not being adjusted... hmmm

Next priority: BRAKES!!! I bought a new seal and master cylinder cap. I could see everytime I pushed on brakes, it squirted from the cap just a little...

Hope everyone has a great week!!

Cody

15. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Sounds like a couple of things could have made your truck diesel when you tried to shut it off. 1 your idle could have been set too fast or 2 your timing could be a little fast. The black smoke is gas and the blue is oil. If it does it again turn the key back on then try to shut it off in gear. I hope this helps Big Tim :cool:

16. codyfox

codyfox Member

Thanks Big Tim...

I started it today before work but didn't drive it around. I let it run for about 5 min real quick and looked ok. little smoke but that is the way it has been for awhile... I am buying an edelbrock 600 Electric choke carburetor next week to replace the old rochester one. My idle is way too high. We will see if this helps.

Cody

17. codyfox

codyfox Member

Good evening. Some help please.. I am putting on an Edelbrock 600 and for some reason, this ? is in the way. Can anyone tell me what this is and what I can do to solve this problem. Thanks. 1st pic is where it is located.

Cody

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. codyfox

codyfox Member

hmm

Is it the EGR valve or something? Guess I will take it down to see about a smaller one..

19. booger

booger Member

does Ken really have a 30 mile driveway ? and does he always have to show pics of his truck ?

20. codyfox

codyfox Member

Figured it out

Took some time and research and figured it all out. Since I don't use the EGR Valve, I just put a small plate over it and continued my business with the carburetor. Things are getting done and loving it.

Have a great week.

Cody:)