53 Chevy 3100 Pics

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by codyfox, Mar 6, 2010.

1. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

you did the right thing Cody. you could also try a performer manifold. you might like the looks and the way it runs better than with that old smogger manifold. Or you could do this 001.jpg ...Big Tim :cool:

2. codyfox

codyfox Member

Big Tim,

Thanks, we got it idled right and I definitely like the electric choke.....

Cody

3. codyfox

codyfox Member

Hope everyone had a great weekend.... Fine tuning my Edelbrock Carberator at the moment. Now on to disc brakes. I don't want to do a clip or anything at the moment. I would like disc brakes on the front...Any suggestions on where to buy them, etc..... This is definitely my next project... Thanks for all the input so far..

Cody

Oh, and I don't know what kind of wax you guys use on the AD, but my buddy recommended Klasse and it works wonders...

4. codyfox

codyfox Member

Back on- Brake wiring question

Took a break from everything to handle some work, school, etc.. Hope everyone is doing well.

After installing the ez wiring, I did everything right but haven't messed with the brake lights. What's the easiest way to hook up the wires for my brakes? I believe I know where they go, but just want clarification..

Thanks...

Cody

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Just hook them through the brake switch, at the pedal, on the firewall. It doesn't matter which terminal gets which wire.

6. codyfox

codyfox Member

Thanks

Bought a new brake switch..Thanks figured it out by your help...

Cody

7. codyfox

codyfox Member

Great week

Well, I had approval from the wife that I could spend a little money on the 53..(Swampy) as she calls it.
    I was very stoked to start working on it again so I went out and bought my brake switch, door handles for both doors, striker plate, compressor for my A/C and the lines. I love getting packages in the mail. Feels like Christmas in August..lol
    Well those darn clutch head screws/bolts are a pain in the butt..Been searching for the 1/4" bit but no one around has them. I ordered them online but will take a week to get here. Checked with Napa and they will have one in stock on Tuesday. I really wanted to start on them now, but I need patience. Looks like I will be working on the brake switch (ordered from ebay).
    Any ideas on the best way to get in there and take that old one off? Should be fun!!
    This week I will be working on welding and putting in the passenger side 3pt seatbelt for my daughter...
    Hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

8. codyfox

codyfox Member

A few rusted out spots in floor

Question.
    I ordered some Jute for the floor but I have a few rusted out spots in the floor. I have some metal pieces that I could weld in for more support. Is that the best way to go?

Also, what else do I need to add to the floor with the jute? I really don't want to put in carpet until I get some new windows, seals...etc.

You guys are awesome..Love this website....

Cody

Will post some pics this week..

9. Zig

Zig Member

for those who can't wait...GET A GRIP!

If I have room, I've managed to get a grip on those screws with vise grip pliers. On ones that won't allow me room, I've ground down a fatter blade screw driver.
    Sounds like you ARE having fun! I'm finally heading back towards the light also. Disc brakes are on my list of things to do as well. :cool:

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The best way to fix the floors is to replace them. It isn't as hard as you would think. You can patch them in for a temp. fix with steel patches, or even old road signs. Under the jute you can use Dynamat or the like, though it is expensive if you may be replacing floors later. You may also try a bedliner material for the floors.

11. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

how unique - i would not change them bumpers

if so, it must be hard to tell if you are coming or going!

12. codyfox

codyfox Member

Zig

I am waiting for that hard to find 1/4 clutch head to come in on Tuesday. If I can't get a few off, looks like I will try to grind them down or get some vise grip pliers.

I'm having fun, just wish I was a genius...lol

13. codyfox

codyfox Member

Ol' Chebby

I thought about doing the spray in bedliner and I know a buddy that did it and it looks great. Thanks for the input...

Cody

14. codyfox

codyfox Member

Gypsy...

That's funny... It's on the list to do...Gotta make sure I get the right bumper.. :)

15. codyfox

codyfox Member

Brake Question

Alright, the wiring harness is working...The LED lights and running lights work..I bought a brake switch off ebay and it should work..I have 5 wires for the brakes..
    1. Orange Brake Power-12 vlt
    2. White Brake
    3. Orange 3rd Brake
    4. White 3rd Brake
    5. Orange 3rd Brake.

I have tried everyone of them connected to each other to see if the brake lights come on..and nothing. I have a wiring harness I bought from ezwiring. Hmm.. Any suggestions...I've tried everyone of them with the 12 vlt one and nothing.. I checked the fuses and they are all good.

Thanks,
    Cody
    The wife is gone for 10 days to Seattle so I have time to work..Just wish it would be a little smoother than it is...haha

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Brake power from fuse box to switch, white from switch to brake lights. If you have an aftermarket turn signal, check the mfr.'s iring diagram on that. I'll check my ezwire book tomorrow.

17. codyfox

codyfox Member

Got the brakes working

Thanks Chebby..

One of the wires from the flashers was not hooked up right and so I have them going now....

Next up... Getting those Clutch head screws out of right door to install my new handles. I need a new window in that door so need to figure that one out too.

I tell ya, I bought the glovebox from Classic Parts and it was a biiaattcch to get in but did it. Trying to get it around the lip and enough room to get my hands in the back to push it place was a pain...Looks good though.

Love this site..Can't ask for better help and ideas.

Cody:)

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Try installing a shortened glovebox with an A/C/ unit back there......

19. codyfox

codyfox Member

Thanks

Ok...another question.
    I looked back and didn't see any threads about seats.. I want to put some nice leather seats in my truck. What kind of cars/trucks should I be looking for ? I was told maybe Cadillac would be the best bet...

Thanks,
    Cody

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Unless you are short in stature, you don't want to use anything with a thick back. Buckets are easily adaptable, but I personally like a bench in these trucks. Look at anything in the midsize range. Also, don't use anything high backed, it blocks up the windows.