The Queen would be proud

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Apr 16, 2010.

1. coilover

coilover Member

We took the 400 SBC powered MGB to the great parking lot in the sky today. We needed the engine for another project but first, and after several summer cool down ades, it was decided to form a lottery on how many screaming starts the MG rear end could take. Now we all joke about anything "Lucas", the owners manual states that over revving can cause "rod knocked", and my friend says his driveway will never get rusty as long as he has his XJ6, but that rear end outlasted a quarter tank of gas. It may be that the 400's torque broke the stock tires loose so quickly it removed the strain from the gears and axles but it got a lot of "atta girl" kudos from the guys. Since no one won the lottery it was decided the funds should be transferred to the summer cool down relief kitty.

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

wow that is a lot of power for a MGB!!! I would have loved to see the looks on the neighbors faces

3. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

She's already proud.

Every Friday evening she stands on the White Cliffs and stares out over the English Channel with her arms folded and her feet firmly planted. Two Harrier jets lift straight up, hover behind her and slowly turn to follow her stare. You can see the weaponry under the wings. She knows friend from foe and she doesn't blink.

For several minutes they stay like this until Jimmy Page hits the opening chords of a Led Zep track (it's different every week) so loudly the sky cracks.

It's a little known, seldom seen ritual, but it happens.

4. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Cool!

Sounds like a really cool project. Got any pic's?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Resting At Last

I hope you saved the various bits left over as MGB's are fun cars and more popular than ever....

I miss mine sort of.... :cool:

6. federale

federale Member

Re:MGB

I never owned an MG but had a 61 Triumph TR3 back in the mid sixties. Not V8 powered but lots of fun nevertheless :)

7. brit 50

brit 50 Member

brit iron

Ha! built to last, wonder if a G*C axle could take that abuse? probs not:D
    Mel been there at the ritual, awesome,;)

8. coilover

coilover Member

Robert, here are some build pictures but can't find the finished ones. You can see a small area has been cut out and boxed back in on the steering shaft side and a large area on the passenger side. Was for good weather only because you can see the heater box was cut away. Inside shot shows boxed area on passenger side that gives the needed room. The engine mount cushions were the Speedway Motors biscuit type and the turbo 350 used the GM mount on the MG crossmember. Nate, the last shot is just before it went to the yard and as it is now. If someone wants it I'll weigh it and sell for whatever iron is bringing.

Attached Files:

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Evan

Go dot MGCars.org and sell it off bit by bit there ~ I got $75 each for doors and $100 for a windshiled , far more than the scrap value....

Bonnet & boot are valuable too .

You're too far away for me to find you a buyer but I'll ask around .

10. Chiro

Chiro Member

Ooooh, me!!!

Sounds like a cool project. Plenty of SBC's laying around here. Let me know if you are serious about the "buy it for scrap" price Evan.

Andy

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Andy

Actually , if you want this romping , stomping Hot Rod project , grab it then find an Buick/Rover 215 C.I. aluminum V-8 , they're cheap and plentiful , best of all, well designed by Generous Motors Corporation before the bean counters and jerks ruined the company .

It's power to weight ratio is amazing and it'll bolt up to the GM tranny of your choice .