Need help changing oil filter 1960 235

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by tracern1, May 2, 2010.

1. tracern1

tracern1 Member

I'm new to the forum and I recently picked up a 60 Apache C-10 with a 235 stock engine with 3 speed transmission. And I have a few questions concerning the motor. Forgive me for any dumb questions. But I'm new to these types of motors. And from what I have learned from the threads in this forum (great forum by the way). The oil filter is a by pass type filter located in a cannister on the drivers side of the engine. I have removed the bolt on the top of the cannister but I could not get the lid off. I did not apply to much force to it trying to remove it. I did not want to tear anything up. So do the lids on this types of filters twist off or just pull off ? The next question I have concerns about the oil preasure. The motor seems to run fine with no knocking sounds and very little smoke.. When I first purchased the truck and drove it home it ran pretty good for a truck that had been sitting up for a few years. But it did smoke a good bit. But after running some more gas through it and some carb cleaner the smoke has cleared up a good bit. I replaced the instrument cluster. Now the oil preasure light will come on and flicker a bit until I rev the motor a bit and the light will go out. Could this be due to sludge in the pan, blocked oil sending unit, or pump ? I wasn't going to run the motor anymore until I pulled the pan and valve cover and changed the oil and filter. The oil pan looks like it will be a easy removal, is it ? Most of the time when I tell myself that sometning will be a easy job it turns out to be a nightmare. I have tinkered with newer vehicles, late 60s, 70s and 80s. But never with a 60 model engine. Thanks for any advice or tips you can give

2. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

The oil canister lid should come off after the bolt is removed I 'm not sure if there's a o ring in there or not but it should come off. You might try tapping on it with a hammer to break it loose. If your oil preasure light is flickering at an idle it's because your engine is getting a little loose and your oil pump is getting a little worn. Try just changing the oil and use 20/50 oil and a quart of Rislon. This will help the oil pump work a little better. If your light still flickers at an idle then you might want to change the oil pump. The pan comes off easy...I hope this helps...Big Tim :cool:

3. tracern1

tracern1 Member

Thanks for the reply Big Tim and the help. I was thinking of going ahead and changing the oil pump while I had the pan off. Do all the 235 engines use the same oil pump ?

4. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Yes, the lid does come off with a few taps...also there should be a spring that was on that bolt under the cap.
    I never had to change out the oil pump, but I do remember that something was different than just a straight accross swap. Shop manual would be a big help.
    Bob

5. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

When buying a oil pump just remember to tell your supplier what year engine you have, you can go through Clifford performance and get a high volume pump too. so show us some Pix of your truck! I have a "61" also...Big Tim :cool:

6. tracern1

tracern1 Member

Thanks Bob and Big Tim for the help. I have replaced the old filter in the cannister and cleaned the cannister out. I put some compressed air through the hoses that go to and from the filter cannister.. I also removed the oil sending unit and cleaned it up. While I had the sending unit out I removed the small copper tube that connects to the fitting right pass the sending unit. Then shot some compressed aiir through it. One question though what is the small copper tube for? it looks to go from one side of the block to the other side. I ran the engine for a minute while I had the oil filter out of the cannister. and I watched the oil flowing into the cannister. The oil seemed to be moving real good with plenty of preasure. I think I will go with your advice Big Tim and just do a oil change with 20/50 and a oil addative and see what happens with the oil preasure. I removed the valve cover and was surprised to find that there wasn't any sludge caked in there. Now I have to find info on adjusting the vavles and such.

Bob

I went and downloaded from ejunkie a ebook/shop manual. According to the web ad it was suppose to be a shop manual covering 1960-1966 Chevy trucks. Well I got ripped off. the ebook was a supplement to the shop manual. And only covered the 1966 model truck. And there wasn't very much info about that. I filed a dispute with Paypal for a full refund. I'm looking for the right shop manual now. I found a few on Epay, but man they are high

I will try to get the wife to take some pictures of the old truck this evening. The bed was not on the truck when I bought it. And it has what looks like a 65 hood on it. the guy I bought it from wanted the eye brow hood for his 61 and swapped out hoods. My wife doesn't like the original eye brow hood and doesn't mind the hood that's on it. I tend to like the eye brow hood myself. Down here in the south there are a lot of the old trucks still around even after the scrap metal prices went up so high. Maybe I can find a eye brow hood for it. I was planning on making a wooden flat bed with stake rails for it after I got all the mechanical stuff done on it. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me

7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I think the small copper tube you are talking about is a top end oiler, it gives extra oil to the rocker arms.... Big Tim :cool:

8. tracern1

tracern1 Member

thanks for the info, I will have some pictures taken of the truck this evening. We didn't have any time last night. Had to mess with the horses and such. You wouldn't think that little tube would do much good as far as sending oil anywhere though

9. tracern1

tracern1 Member

here are a few pics of the old truck. I was thinking of building a wooden flat bed for it. I have all the head light bezels and chrome Chevrolet plates. turnflex blinker system, optional fuse block (thanks to Brian) to put on it. The floor board is rock solid and the frame is in pretty good shape also. I think I will post more pics in a new thread. Thanks for all the help on the oil filter

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      144.1 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      136.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      191.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  10. billy b

billy b Member

South East, Ga. Short distance from Columbus, Ga.
    Want a new one? complete

11. tracern1

tracern1 Member

A new what??

12. tracern1

tracern1 Member

do you mean a new truck bed? Yes, it would save me some work. PM sent