Sender float

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Doug 63, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Doug 63

Doug 63 Member

Now my sender float is floating. Only problem is that it's no longer attached to the sender. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to fish it out?

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Magnet. I have a handy little item that looks like an antenna with a magnet on the end. Real handy for fishing out that bolt you dropped from "where no man has gone before."

Dennis

3. Doug 63

Doug 63 Member

Unfortunately the float is brass (non-magnetic) and this one won't work.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

OK. Plan B. How about one of those small nets used for aquariums ?May also help to work with the tank fairly full so the little devil is floating nearer the top.

Or to quote Larry of the Three Stooges; " This ain't gettin us nowhere... We'll hav-ta BLAST !"..

Luck !

Dennis

5. Doug 63

Doug 63 Member

Success. Took the tank loose and tipped it up a litte. Then used a long pair of skewers like chopsticks to grab hold of it. One final question, anyone certain of which way the float mounts. I've seen photos of the sender with it mounted with the long side of the float toward the front of the truck and toward the rear. Anyone know for sure which way is right (there wasn't a float in the sender to begin with, just a cork) or if it even makes a difference?

6. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:)howziit Doug63! i just looked at the sender i removed. on the '56 truck,the arm clips onto the groove in the float...sort of like a C-clip.

Myron

7. Doug 63

Doug 63 Member

Yes. But on the 63 it can go on one of two ways as the groove for the clip is offset to one end. Just worried that if it's offset the wrong way the float could foul the side of the tank and cause an interference. Then again, it may make no difference at all.

8. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:)howziit Doug 63! to be on the safe side, you could attach it, so the longer part of the float faces towards the center of the tank.

it may not make a difference,but this would be the surest way.

Myron