Alternator not charging battery

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ole green, May 1, 2010.

1. ole green

ole green Member

I can't drive with my lights on. Starts missing bad. Alternator and battery test fine. I guess it must be wiring somewhere. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1960 Chevy truck? There are four wires leaving the alternator. One to starter, three to fuse block. One wire going to fuse to fuse block has a pigtail connector, both sides hot. Help please! Thanks in advance

2. markeb01

markeb01 Member

3. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

On your alternator you have a "R" ,"F", "ground" and "battery" wire. The "R"wire go's to the #2 terminal on the regulator, the "F" wire go's to the "F" terminal on the regulator , the "ground" go's to ground, and the "battery" wire go's to the battery source. when you tested your alternator did you test it with the lights on? You might have a bad regulator. Minimum voltage should not be less than 13.5 volts. Maximum voltage should not be more than 14.9 volts. I hope this helps.......Big Tim :cool:

4. ole green

ole green Member

bigtimjamestown
    I should have been more specific with my post. I think my alternator has an internal regular. I had it tested off the truck at O'Reilly's with all three tests showing good. I guess that test would show if the regulator was working properly. It is a fairly new alternator. Thanks
    ole green

5. ole green

ole green Member

markeb01

Thanks. Now some help reading it. LOL :) I will give it a go.

6. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

A friend of mine sent back two alternators said not charging. Took it to a shop and the problem was simply that the drive belt wasn't tight enough. Just a thought..
    Bob

7. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

Bench testing isnt always accurate, theres a diod that can go bad that will actually cause a drain, but it will still bench test as good.

P.S. as my profesional opinion as a veteran mechanic, oriellys gets there rebuilt parts from an extremly bad rebuilder. trust me, ive changed enough of there parts out to piss of ten mechanics.