Problem with my '05 Chevy

Discussion in '1999-Present' started by nleg1975, Jun 19, 2009.

1. nleg1975

nleg1975 Member

I have a 2005 Chevy Z71. The problem I have is that sometimes I feel something in the steering. It almost seems like something is loose in the steering column. It doesn't do it all the time, but it may lead to something worse. Has anybody had any problems like this?

2. drabo

drabo Member

I had similar problems with my 2003 Z71. After a couple front end rebuilds and the dealer telling me it was my imagination I got the truck fixed by selling it. That truck was a $32000.00 turd. I did replace it with the previous body style with great success and more money in my pocket.

3. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I used to be a chevy mechanic, BMW now, but we had problems with the lower steering shaft. It's a real easy fix. Prob notice it more in turning or hitting uneven surface when turning. To be sure it is that you can take it off and slide it back and forth and sometimes you can feel it notchy. If it is notchy then that is definately your noise, if not then it still could be your noise just can't feel it. That's a good starting point.

4. jacks2028

jacks2028 Member

Now, I have 2000 x-cab z71 Chevy 1/2 ton and it has stock 16in rims on it. But before it I have Chevy-05 model. I know that's give me better speed but I have also face the same problem. 2000 x-cab z71 Chevy is better then Chevy-05 model.

5. 2tons of fun

2tons of fun Member

modern chevy's have pretty crappy steering components, they eat up idler and pitman arms, not as bad but the lower tre's go out too.