how do I re-install the hood ?

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by jdwestsr, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jdwestsr

jdwestsr Member

Looking for advice from someone who's done this. I am in the middle of an engine rebuild on my 1983 C10. We removed the hood the other day so we could pull the motor and it seems like re-installing could be difficult. I noticed that the hinges can be adjusted where they attach to the hood. Since the hood is so heavy and won't be supported by the springs I'm worried we could damage either the hood, the cowling, or the hinges when we try to re-install it. Does anyone have any advice on how to secure the hood and make the adjustments without risking scratching or bending anything ? Thanks.

2. drabo

drabo Member

Bolt the hood to the hinges and just hand tighten the bolts. Slowly close the hood and align it. Once it is aligned tighten the blots.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

It prettyt much the same as said but just in case put a blanket at the back near the cowl and by the fender just in case you slip. There should be marks on the hood, if it was lined up good if you line the marks up unless you cleaned that part of the hood. Oh the 1981-87 hood are lighter then the 1973-80's . Well two people ca do it but one extra set of hands to help at the front is a big help some times.

4. billybones

billybones Member

Use 3 people to do it. One on each side to hold hood in position and a third to put the bolts in. If the hood had never been adjusted before, you should be able to see the marks left from the flat washers and hood bolts, that are pressed into the hinges, and you can get lucky tightening the bolts to the original position.

5. David Hall

David Hall Member

I also find this method best and to make it even easier the inner fender wells can be removed to gain access to the hood hinge bolts. This way the hood can be aligned perfectly on the first try.

6. 84draggin

84draggin Member

the easiest way i have found is to get a high test webbing come along throw it over your garages support beams ratchet it up position it throw the bolts in and there you go * but then again im a one man team since i live in a isolated farm county so thats how i roll * or buy a 12 pack and call a friend

7. smithshn

smithshn Member

To reinstall the hood there should be marks on the hood, if it was lined up good if you line the marks up unless you cleaned that part of the hood and even easier the inner fender wells can be removed to gain access to the hood hinge bolts. This way the hood can be aligned perfectly on the first try it.

8. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

If you can after you hand tighten the bolts look closely at where the washers in relation to the hood hinges are. you should find marks in the hinges, most I have found are of a circular pattern where when the factory installs the hood then paints the truck it leaves over spray marks, re-Aline the patterns of the over spray and give two of the bolts a snugging ,one on each side,not to tight.
    As stated before use an old sheet or blanket on each fender to avoid scratching the fenders, slowly lower the hood watching both sides as the hood comes down and recheck the fit. make small adjustments if necessary. after you're satisfied with the fit, tighten the last two bolts. slowly lower the hood. I've had slippage before, don't remove the fender protection yet, latch the hood. stand back and look at the way it fits.
    You will now notice the gaps more between the hood and fenders and then start walking around the truck and say to your self hum 'I never noticed that before'.
    Don't worry this is a classic case of "THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HUM". If you can, unlatch the hood, I'm not saying this will happen to you most likely not, oil hinges and latch, re-latch the hood, and walk away. go have a cup of coffee a soda watch a movie. then if you're not satisfied with the fit try adjusting the fit. always make very small adjustments.:)
    if this is to much information just ignore it and move on.
    have fun:)
    If you decide on the 12 pack method don't open until done.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010