need rear light wiring help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by tomdownes, Sep 20, 2002.

1. tomdownes

tomdownes Member

Can anyone help with tail light wiring. (65 chevy)I had to remove the male/female harness next to the rear bumper. My brake lights won't work. There are 3 wires coming from the front. Anyone know how to attach them to the wires from the tailgate lights?

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) ho4wziit Tom!

i don't usually refer to wiring diagrams; i go with basics, which would apply to any car, truck, rickshaw, submarine, helicoptor, etc.

if you don't have a VOM(volt-ohm-meter), you can buy one for $10.

if the wires are cut off, strip a small piece at the tip,separate them, and don't let them touch enything.

if you have a buddy, have him pull the headlight switch on. with the meter in 12volt scale, clip one to ground, touch each wire 'til you have 12v reading.

that one's your tail light.

turn headlight switch off; buddy presses brake. test the remaining wires.

the one with 12v is your brake light.

release brake; use turn signal.

the last wire should have intermittent 12v; that's your turn signal.

this works well, if the truck's been re-wired, with wrong colors.

hope this helps.

Myron

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

YOU can also use a test light. You must have a good ground to get it to light when touching a the wire if it is hot.a freind would be a great help so he can turn the lights on and step on the brakes and turn the turn signals on.
    cowboy
    1961 chevy1/2ton shortstep (496 coming soon) known as sarah

4. tomdownes

tomdownes Member

Thanks back to you all. I've done the ohm/volt testing, but here is my problem still. My right break light operates but not my left one.
    But the light bulb is fine, both signals work and the parking lights on both sides work. Whats up with that? Why won't the left side work?
    Thanks in advance if you can offer any help.

5. Doug 63

Doug 63 Member

Keep in mind that (for my 63 at least) the path from the brake light to the rear bulbs goes through the turn signal switch. A bad contact in there will also keep one side from working. Happened to me. An easy fix.

6. David

David Member

On my 62' I have the wiring harness from the fire wall to the rear bumper out of a 66'. The rear tail light harness out of a 60'. This is I belive from looking at them is how it's wired. The green, brown wires is connected to two white wires. The brown w/ a yellow stripe is connected to the two black wires. I hope this helps.;)

David