Factory 4sp question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Jul 27, 2010.

1. coilover

coilover Member

On a factory 4 speed trans in a 50 3600 what holds in the speedometer driven gear? It's caked with grease and I can't see if there is a clamp or if it is necessary to remove the housing on the rear of the transmission. It's sunk into the ground but if it's not necessary to remove the housing I can work through the top and not have to drive my s-l-o-w forklift two miles round trip. In 60 years I have driven many with the granny low but never worked on one---guess they score high in reliability. Thank you;

2. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

The drive gear is machined in the rear yolk. The gear that the speedo is hooked to has a small bolt and a tab that hold it in. The housing and the gear come out together. Chris

3. coilover

coilover Member

Thanks, Chris. I should be able to take it off (the driven gear) from above with the trans floor cover removed. Now do you know anything about chiggers? It's infested where the truck is and I think they are all deviants because they pass across a lot of perfectly good skin to get to a very private and tender area. I can put on long pants and tie a diesel soaked rag tight around the bottom. My wife insists I strip before coming in the house but I get plenty of elbow room at the cafe so it's not all bad.

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Not the dreaded chigger! Get some "Deep Woods Off" and spray yourself good. Then, after it's too late to figure out that it does not work as good as "they" say, get clear fingernail polish and dob it on any part of the body that itches, and in 3 or 4 miserable days they will be dead! And yeah, for some reason, they ALWAYS go straight for the most private of parts on a body!

5. Zig

Zig Member

Women

Evan~ this sounds like one of those sneaky ways women try to convey a message without actually saying it.

SHE WANTS YOU!!!! :D ;) :p :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

6. Zig

Zig Member

BTW, no visual help needed with that one...

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Actually.......

If it's a Muncie 420 tranny , the driven gear screws into the tranny's case and it's sort of recessed so you'll need a socket with fairly thin walls to get ot loose .

Chiggers ~ ugh ! I'm glad I live where they don't now . they like the dsamp parts where you sweat is the deal , they're not freaks like that 16 year old you dated in High School .

8. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Oops!

Nates right it does thread in. Sorry Evan.:eek:

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No Worries !

For some real entertainment , go read some of my goofy posts made before my coffee or when I'm too tired or maybe I simply don't know anything about old trucks .

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  10. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Hi Evan, did you get my private message on this subject?

11. coilover

coilover Member

Yep, Neal, that's why I'm finding out what holds the bugger in. I'm under 50 percent on getting private message replies to actually reach the person I'm trying to reach. Always get "an error was comitted" box and being so dumb on computers I have no idea what the error is.

12. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Error

Evan, 'error' is longhand for G*C, have you worked on one or bought one recently? the feds are on to you im afraid;)

13. coilover

coilover Member

Neil, look this over and see if it's what you have in mind. Has finally cooled down to an artic like 102F (39C) so I bundled up and went down to the storage lot to pull it.

Attached Files:

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speedo Driven gear

That's it ! .

Be aware there's many different ones so your speedo might not be 100 % accurate .

Also , don't forget the crush washer under it as it might otherwise leak .