53-54 Grill Swap

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dirtydixon, Aug 3, 2010.

1. dirtydixon

dirtydixon Member

I have a 54 Chevy 3100 and was wondering if any of you know if a 53 grill would fit on my truck. How different are these two truck in the front end. Are the front fenders the same? Thanks.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You can do the bodywork to change them over, but most just use an earlier front clip, like on the old navy trucks.

3. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

The fenders on a 54 are different although the 53 and earlier grill will fit. But why would you want to make the swap when the 54 grill is so much nicer?.....Big Tim :cool:

4. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

I've always liked the 54 grill, my first truck 31 years ago. The 47-53 are pretty plentiful, but they only made that dash, windshild, fenders and grill for a year and a half. :confused:

5. dirtydixon

dirtydixon Member

thanks guys for the info, it was just something I was considering. The 53 grills are alot cheaper and easy to get a hold of a repro, mine will need a decent amount of work to be looking good, but I think that's what I need to do.

6. Zig

Zig Member

How 'bout going "G"?

If you can find a GMC hood, I have a GMC grill you could use... :rolleyes:

Oh~ sorry~ That one will be shipped to brit50. I know how much he covets the manly G mug! :D