Rear End Change Out

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Melman, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Melman

Melman Member

Hey Guys,
    I want to update my OEM rear end on my 87 chevy truck with an updated version. I have found a couple 94/96 Impala SS rear ends. Does anyone know if these will fit the truck with a minimum amount of modifications. These rears are posi traction w/disc brakes. Thanks for your help.

2. drabo

drabo Member

Brakes on cars and brakes on trucks are two diffrent things. You can add posi traction and disc brakes to your current rear end.

3. Melman

Melman Member

I was wondering about that. I would like to keep my original rear end and just up date the gears and change over to posi. I knew that the SS rear is a 5/5. I could get the whole set up for a good price.
    I was trying to determine which way would work the best. I could live with the drum brakes, but did want both wheels pulling.
    I was told that Eaton makes good gears.Have you converted any differentials from single traction to posi?
    I looked in the old post and didn't see any info on this subject..

4. mike 304

mike 304 Member

I have an Eaton posi rear with 410 gears....posi rear was about 475.00
    Install kit about 100.00 and gears about 200.00.

No other modifications were needed....

You could find a posi rear to fit from a salvage yard but you don't know what kind of shape it's in and are taking a chance that it will not last you.

5. Melman

Melman Member

Thanks for the info on the Eaton setup. i like the idea of changing out my housing from a 10 bolt to one that is sturdier. A 12 bolt posi would work for me.I thought that a unit out of a newer model vehicle would work. I am sure this has been done before, i haven't talked to anyone who has done the change out.
    Anybody out there have any experience on a conversion!