Wiring Dual Element Taillights

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by oilslickwillie, Sep 23, 2009.

1. oilslickwillie

oilslickwillie Member

Can anyone tell me how to wire taillights that have dual element bulbs with two wires coming from the taillight. Is one wire for the turn signals and the other for the running lights and brake lights. Also, is the ground provided by mounting the taillight bracket to the body. Any direction would be appreciated.

2. drabo

drabo Member

Is one wire for the turn signals and the other for the running lights

Yes and yes

is the ground provided by mounting the taillight bracket to the body.

Yes

3. merlynski

merlynski Member

wires

One wire is for turn signals and brakes (the brightest filament) and the other is for tail lights (less bright filament) on an 1157 bulb. The ground is the body of the socket/housing. I usually add a ground wire connection from the light housings because I don't trust the body to chassis ground path the factory counts on:rolleyes:. I run the ground wire forward to the common ground point for the truck, which is usually where the negative side of the battery is attached to either the frame or the engine. This also provides a good ground for the side lights as it grounds the box as well.:D If your tail lights flicker and dim with the turn signals you probably have a bad ground.