305 5.0 L V8

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Arizona64, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

I dropped a 305 5.0L V8 in my 64 C10. I know this is probably not a very popular engine, but I can't really tell the difference between it and a 350. How can I modify this engine to get more horespower and/or torque? Since it is a two bolt main, how much can I tweak it before I risk blowing something up? I want a daily driver with a good kick and good rumble. Can I do a stroker with it? ADVICE PLEASE!

Regards,
    Arizona64 }>

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Arizona,

My 2 Cents. I too have a 305. I wouldn't put a lot of money into it as far as stroking etc. The results and monet spent would be equal if you used a crate 350. For now, stick to the basics, intake manifold, headers and HEI. My plan is to replace it in a year or so with a 350.

FYI, the valve guides on these are notorious for failing. Tell tale signs are a slight smoking on first start up that disappears after 30 seconds.

Dvalentine

3. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

How about a cam? Not too familiar with HEI. What's the advantage? I havn't seen any smoking, but I have noticed some moisture from the tailpipe at startup...is this normal? I've got headers, but they leak. What kind would you recommend?

Regards,
    Arizona64

4. dvalentine

Personally, I wouldn't put the money into a cam, as the best results are seen with head work and cam combos. The heads are not worth putting the money into, really.

The HEI is a good improvement. One wire 12 Volt hook up and look forward to faster starts, ( mine is about 1/4 rpm before it fires) and smoother acceleration. Plus, say good by to setting the points every few months.

The moisture is normal.

If you have a good running, dependable, 305, just stick to inexpensive basics. Intake, exhaust (you already done that) and ignition.

Dval

5. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

I guess I'll keep it simple then. I'm running with the 305 stock as it came out of the Malibu. All I've done to it is slap on the second hand headers. Since you know more about engines, what would you recommend as an exhaust, carb and header combo? I'll definitely look into the HEI. The engine has a lot of life left in it...only has 15K original miles. Someday, I'll drop a new crate 350 in there!

Regards,
    Arizona64

6. dvalentine

"what would you recommend as an exhaust, carb and header combo?"

On the header side there are only a few choices. If you have headers already , use them unless thay are really bad. Othere wise Heddman or Hooker...

Intake and carb Elelbrock intake, (Performer NOT RPM) and a 650 cfm Edelbrock carb as well. That combination that should get 10 20 more HP and remaine really dependable.

Look on e-Bay for rebuilt GM stock HEI distributers. You should be able to score one for under $100.

Dval

7. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit guys!

i would recommend the performer manifold also, along with either a 500cfm edelbrock/AFB, or an OEM Quadrajet carb, and crane cams'$23 modifying kit of the HEI's vacuum and mechanical advance curve.

the beauty of it all is that everything can transfer to your next sbc motor...maybe a sbc 400?}> }> }>

8. zenish

zenish Member

you might look into getting some 305 vortec heads and intake.

9. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

Tell me more about the Vortec heads...

Regards,
    Arizona64}>

10. zenish

zenish Member

i would check out www.thirdgen.org message board.a lot of camaros came with 305s[like mine]and the people there know how to make one run.i understand the 350 vortec heads lower the compression too much and the 305 vortec heads work better.if i were going to modify my 305 thats where id go.