Whats a good asking price

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Texas55, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Texas55

Texas55 Member

Since im in high school its hard to find time and money to complete my 55 chevy 3100 1st series 5 window and need a better fit truck for traveling to college what would be a good price range for it, its street legal and i drive it every day, everything is original, straight six 235 three on the tree transmission is pretty solid but sometimes tends to kick out of third the seats fabric and cushin was re done just the rest of the interior is raw, all gauges work, exterior needs a new paint job but nothing is rusted through jus a few small dents. online apraisals value it in the 9000 dollar range is that right? thanks for the feed back and after college i hope to be back on here again with another truck

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Photos would help...

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Around here unrestored drivers are between $3000-$5000. Depending on condition, maybe more.

4. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Same in Tennessee, any condition restorable is $3000, body alone around Nashville.

Flashlight

5. codyfox

codyfox Member

Morning

Pics!! If your in Round Rock, I should come take a look!!

Cody

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Post detailed pictures inside and out, then we can give you a good estimate.

7. Texas55

Texas55 Member

here are some pics of the truck

8. Texas55

Texas55 Member

let me know if i need any more

Attached Files:

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

That is a pretty solid looking truck. I know money is tight, but if you did a little body work and a quick paintjob(MAACO) you could get a little more. Painted and fairly straight I would estimate around $8k.

10. Zig

Zig Member

Well...

Great truck, but I hope that you have spell check on your college computer. Yikes!
    Best of luck to you! I am a high school drop out that managed to get a couple of degrees. I leaned HEAVILY on spell check! ;)

11. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    No Kidding Zig!! You should have had spell check when you bought your truck...its says GMC not Chevrolet on the front grill. I'm in Russell KS tonight at the "Super 8" coming back from Colorado. Long days drive. I've seen some great restorables along the way. Plenty of open space out here, for sure.

Flashlight

12. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

Don't forget to mention the deluxe cab option with the two-tone interior and the chrome vent window frames.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Like It !

Here in So. Cal. it's about a $4,000 truck , maybe more or less depending on rust issues .

When you're my age you'll be kicking yourself for selling it , I miss many of the old cars I once owned as a broke butt Teenager :rolleyes: .

14. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

nice looking truck you have. i would include some pics of the engine. i would not recommend you painting it - let the buyer paint it as they wish. looks real solid as is. i would set an asking price and then depending upon how desperate you are to sell, then ask for 'or best offer' - that let's the buyer know that you are willing to negotiate somewhat, but that you do have a starting price in mind. sounds like the transmission is the only issue and if so, i'd see what it costs to get that fixed - if not much, then go for it and sell it as a daily driver. get a "for sale" sign in the window as you drive it around - best free advertsing - and park it near a busy road while you are at work/school. keep names and numbers, dates of those interested and follow up with them periodically. I see you are near Austin - i would check craigslist in all the city categories and see what prices have been asked there and also ebay - might be a good figure to start at.

Also, you might want to post this thread in the 1955-59 forum section as those guys might have a better figure for you. best of luck to you. I had a 66 ford that i drove in high school and kept it through college for a couple years and then sold it. regretted it terribly.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  15. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I agree with Nate completely on all issues. I've had my "54" for 32 years now since I was 16 years old, except I think I paid 400.00 for the truck not 4000.00 and drove it home. It's never been an issue during bad times as far as getting rid of it go's.....Big Tim :cool:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You _KNEW_ This Was Coming :

' Regretted ' what ? letting anyone know you once owned a Brand 'F' ? :rolleyes:

:D

17. skalywag

skalywag Member

I know this may be vulgar but this amazed me: look at Barrett-Jackson - Las Vegas Lot: 53 at a two toned recent "restoration" 1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
    IT SOLD FOR 39,500
    I do not know what to say...

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Know :

Drug use is rampant in America and yes , it does addle your ability to reason :p .

19. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

From what I have seen 2,500$ slight rust to 5,000$ if no rust. It will take a lot of dough to shine more being a 54-55 model. Try ebay and ask 5k or best offer

20. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

There is a good chance that there was more than $39k in that truck.