Rhino Lining

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by 79Scottsdale, Mar 20, 2003.

1. 79Scottsdale

79Scottsdale Member

Just curious if any of you have ahd experience with rhni lining, ( you know, the spray on stuff.) Does it work well, I was thinking of getting it done to my 79Scottsdale, but if it doesnt work well I will try and find other methods of bed protection.

2. tclederman

tclederman Member

Daniel,

The material is strong and the lining is tough. It is expensive compared to buying and installing two-part lining materials yourself (all auto part/paint stores sell them).

As with anything applied by a shop, ask to talk with 2-3 customers who had the material applied on an older vehicle (people unrelated to anyone who works in the shop). The people who applied it on my '54 pickup (Ziebart in Albany, NY) were incompetent. They did not know how to apply and remove masking tape (and scratched the paint in many places). In addition, they left small areas without any coverage of the lining. Finally, they told me not to prep the surface but they did not do any prep either (I would have at least wire-brushed, if not rough sanded, the surfaces).

When I had this done, I had more money than I had time or good sense. Now, I would do it myself (and save a lot of money AND get a better finished product - probably save time, too).

Tim

3. tech1

tech1 Member

It's a tough slid resistant lining that looks very clean and wears well.

4. Mikes48and78

Mikes48and78 Member

Just installed "LINE-X" liner , would not have any other brand ! Expensive, but worth every penny(dollars)lol. The only company that our Government would use on the Pentagon walls after 911. I put it on my '78 silverado shortbed and also embeded small bowties on the sides for a good taste. Warrentied for life, and yes your truck is prepped and cleaned just like you were going to paint it. Appx 2.5 to 3 hours and your ready to go. Good luck

5. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Member

I'll second the vote for Line-X. It's more expensive, but it's far superior(my opinion)to Rhino. But as with anything else, it's also going to depend a lot on WHO does the application. Make sure you have it done by an experienced person. Not the kid they hired from Burger King last week.

JP

6. Towman 1

Towman 1 Member

I had by S-10's rockers, stepbars and grille guard sprayed with Speedliner. I absolutely love it. Very tough stuff. I would personally stay away from a "do it yourself" liner. We put it on the inside of one of our fire trucks at work and it is starting to get damaged. It is no more than a heavy paint it seems like. The speedliner from what i'm told is more like an epoxy. I highly suggest it. I read an article in Four Wheeler a while ago where they compared a bunch of the different brands. I recommend trying to get a copy of the article and then choose for yourself.

"Big Red" '89 S-10 7" Lift w/ 31's
    "The Beast" '86 K-30 454, TH400