bagging on a budget

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by dragonwrecker, Sep 11, 2010.

1. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

i am a heavy equipment/truck mechanic and had a few of these laying around.worked pretty well.
    rear bags
    [​IMG]
    rear view fully depressed on bump stops
    [​IMG]
    front
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

mounted the cab and bed back on to get an idea how its gonna sit fully depressed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is what i started with a month ago
    [​IMG]

3. dmcnga

dmcnga Member

Good Luck

Reminds me of where I started...Good Luck with your project.

4. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

thanks. a little back story my first truck when i was 16 was a 67 shortbed stepside small window.i kept it till i was 28 and traded it for a s-10 with a 454 blown and tubed.i was regretting it as soon as on the way home.i have spent the last 12 years trying to find another one to no avail in a price range even closeto what i would pay.this one will be built to exactly what i want.i dont care what it ends up costing it will not be up for sale.the color when ready will be the green on the 2010 camaros with black racing stripes on the hood.

5. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

engine and trans in place air bags at max lift in the rear and 75% in front takes 8lbs in the rear and65lbs in front to get to where i'm at..the tires currently are 30x9.50 just to give you an idea i plan to run 20s on back and 19s up front so close to run size i plan to use.this is just a complete mock up for now there will be a complete tear down for bodywork and frame cleaning and painting.also plan to rebuild the motor and trans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

has a fat arse big thanks to my bro had that little truck in swapping the cab over :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

well you get the idea:metal:

[​IMG]

7. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:arggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    i hate my ritcy f*cking neighbor the f*cker called code enforcement on me for a junk vehicle.i swear someone will get him some day. whatever happened to walking next door and talking to your neighbor first!my driveway looks a hell of alot better than alot of them here and its only temporary!we have no covenants here but we do have :a$$hat:.wish i had a bigger lot so i can build a shop but lake lots aren't very big.time to go buy a portable garage to "hide" it from the a$$hole when im not working on it.anyone know of a reasonable place to get one near jackson lake? vent over

8. kieth

kieth Member

Those look like Freightliner air bags, have owned a few of those myself (3000) I am a used dealer. How is the clearence on the front of the airbags and do yo get a normal ride height when aired up ? Thanks, Kieth

9. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

close they are off a lift axle on a pete.clearance is fine although i did move the top shock mount over about 1/2" to clear the bags when depressed.ride height is controlled with four corner air control to eliminate excessive body roll.takes about 8lbs to get the rear right and 60 up front due to the extra weight from the engine etc plus the smaller size of the bag.i drove it around the neighborhood to see how it works.ride is good as well as the handling

10. kieth

kieth Member

That is good to know, bag it on a budget is not a bad deal.

1. Have you mounted a compressor and tanks Yet ?

2. Are you planning on setting it up where it auto levels like a big truck or just keeping it a closed loop system.

3. Are you getting normal height and ground clearance when driving and then slamming it when parked ?

Send me your phone number privately or call me at 918-446-2245 I would just like to talk about how you went about doing it. Thanks, Kieth

11. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

i will give you a call

12. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

a little progress.got the front end completely mounted took it for a test drive to see how well it handles.i was surprised how well it did.the air bags are isolated and have a master dump to drop in when parking etc.i do need to go with a bit stiffer rear shock to eliminate the small amount of "volley" i get in the rear on bumps.its not much but enough to notice it.i still have the stockers on it so should be an easy fix.i was going to buy a cowl hood but remembered i had an old fiberglass hood from a drag camaro from days gone by so a little trimming and i think i can mold it in nicely and even make it a functional hood.now if brothers will get my front and rear roll pans and inner fenders here i can get back to my bodywork. (after the 27th when my code enforcement visit is over :)..) btw anyone have a tailgate and hardware they don't need?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

well not much progress.my wifes TJ blew up so all my extra funds went to her a new ride.it;s amazing how that always happens.
    however i did score a dash from one of the old graveyard trucks at my work.its from a c-60 and since i am running air bags it has the air gauge in it just right of the steering column.i dis-assembled them and re-worked and polished the glass. here is what i started with and ended up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dragonwrecker

dragonwrecker Member

had some spare time today and got a little done. i started on the right side rocker panel.got it out to find more rot.front lower a pillar needs replacing and the inner rocker as well.i new i would need to repair the edge of the floor boards on both sides.

heres a few pics of were i am with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and for shits and giggles i did a test fit to see how it looks :0)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]