Broken Wing-need hood ornament

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by DieselDog, Nov 1, 2010.

1. DieselDog

DieselDog Member

Just my luck... I thought I was doing something good when I should have left it alone.

I sent my original 1954 GMC "jet/rocket airplane" hood ornament out to a chrome shop to be rechromed.
    They just called to say one of the wings broke off as they were deplating it.

I do not want a repro part, anyone have an extra original laying around they want to sell, or know where I can buy an original piece?

Condition of the chrome is not an issue as I'll have it replated.

I also need a heater temp control valve with knob and related parts, and the above radiator frame (arched) support piece.

Guys; any leads would be appriciated

Thanks, Michael.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. Zig

Zig Member

Welcome, Michael. I hope you told the company you want the ornament back... They are rather pricey. For heater stuff, you may want to check with Deadzonetruckin'. He's a member on this site and seems to have a bunch of goodies like this.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bad Chromer

They didn't break it , I bet they stole it .

I've had lotsa things de-chromed over the years and never had anything break although some stuff was pretty bad under the chrome .

let's see if they return it ~ if not , you know they stole it .

Please post the name and location of this crappy shop so others will avoid it .

4. dads55

dads55 Member

I ould definitely ask for it back. With a tig welder a good welding shop should be able to repair the hood ornament well enough so that after plating you cannot even tell it was damaged.

5. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I am with Nate on the hood rocket....
    If they can't supply the broken one... they took it.

We can fix you up with the heater control valve & the warmer knob.
    Also have the GMC radiator cover you need.

PM us for more info. on the parts.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Two very poor pictures as far as good detail on the hood ornament but can you tell if it's like this one on a 51 GMC? If so, I have one that is pitted but unbroken. I had the one on the truck repaired and re-plated by Paul's in Pennsylvania---very expensive but a super job. Normally I'd say the chances of finding it would by be next to nil but I am replacing the wood shelving in my storage buildings with heavy duty steel ones so there's a good chance I'll run across it. Foot note; I've tried to trade my nearly new 12ft high pallet shelving even for some 8ft ones but no takers yet so I'm going to whack 4' of the ones I have---a shame.

Attached Files:

7. Zig

Zig Member

Now THAT is a beautiful truck, Evan!

8. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

ebay, of course

i have seen quite a few on ebay - assuming it looks like the one i have. as stated before - they are not cheap, but then again, that is all relative. best of luck to you. I had to just have the pitts sanded down on mine and the just simply painted. I would have liked the chrome. lets see some pics when you have it done......

9. DieselDog

DieselDog Member

Broken Wing-now unbroken

Greetings;
    The “muggyWeld” soldering product rcommended here worked great and the formerly broken wing is now in the process of being re-chromed…

However, a new problem has reared it’s ugly head; the lower oil filter return line has now rotted through, is there anyone I can go to for a replacement, or a hydraulic repair shop that I could send it to that repairs these hoses using your original fittings?

Also, anyone know the part # for the filter element?

Please advise. Thanks, Michael.

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Michael, if you have a NAPA parts store near you, they should be able to build you the lines, complete with the correct end hardware. Also, if you've got the shorter oil filter cannister with uses a 5" tall element, ask for NAPA part #1100 and WIX #51100.

Ken

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oil Filter Hoses

The host here sells them pre made & ready to go cheaply but , if you remove it and look at it , the end part is crimped to the hole , just carefully cut away the thin metal crimped psart and the threaded end will slide out revealing a standard hose nipple , buy some new hose and a good quality clamp (like a fuel hose clamp, not a cheapo Ideal one) and make up a new hose on the spot , in 15 years you'll (maybe) remember you were going to buy spiffy new hoses but never got a ' roundtuit '

Remember : DO NOT use fuel hose ! it'll dry out and crack soon , you need oil rated hose .