Motor Mounting l With HEI

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cgeorgemo, Nov 12, 2002.

1. cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo Member

Okay So if I move my motor mounts forward to help my HEI distributor clear the firewall what do i do about the transmission mounts. Also will I need a longer driveshaft? I have already thought about the carb linkage and fuel lines, what else am i forgetting?

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit guy!

welll, you could always install the small body OEM HEI distributor. i believe they're the same size as points-type distributors.

then, there's no need to move the engine forward...just to facilitate the large HEI distributor.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

You ARE talking about an automatic transmission correct ?

Use drill, chisle, hatchet and other tools of mass destruction on the rivits for the trans mount crossmember and move it forward to where needed. Drill new holes and mount using Grade 8 hardware.

DV

4. cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo Member

Actually it is a 3 speed which is going to throw a wrinkle in everything isn't it?

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I can't remember if the frame narrows where the rear bell housing mounts are. If your frame rails run sraight and true, move the rear motor mounts (bell housing) forward in the same manner as above.

The three speed manual mounts to the bell housing. If you are using a column shifter you may need to make some adjustments to the linkage, if using a floor shifter, you will be reaching a bit farther...

DV

6. guvner

guvner Member

i moved the motor in my 63 up 2 inches so the hei would clear
    after then i just moved the trans mout up 2 inches. luckily i was able to find an aluminum driveshaft at the salvage for 25 bucks that was exactly the right lenght. if i remember right there were factory holes in the frame to scoot the motor mounts forwar.

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

ok i keep hearing about about a small body HEI and i'm going to be running a 3 duece intake and there is NO room for HEI that i so much like i have a points dist. but i took it out of my truck because my truck didn't run right with it in. It might have been the coil. i had replace the cap(twice) and rotor points condenser and plug wires. so a small body HEI would be nice to have.
    This is for those people who use the pertonixs ignitor systems how do you like the system does it preform well? thanks for the help.
    oh yeah i didn't move my engine any when i installed a HEI dist in my truck it fits fine.
    cowboy
    1961 chevy 1/2 ton shortstep known as sarah w/ Tri Power 283