Newbie here

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ericjeeper, Nov 18, 2010.

1. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Member

My 19 year old son has watched my grandfathers 1951 3600 sit in our barn since he could walk. Ok he wanted to restore it.. My fathersaid sure.My father inherited the truck when his dad past away., I had no desire to ever fix it up.Especially since I watched my dad sell his 49 five window for fifty bucks when I was around ten years old..You know the short bed half ton more desired version. ok enough history. The engine has a later engine a 235 out of a 53 or 54 bel air, something about a 2 speed power glide configuration.. Long story short unable to locate the proper head.. I talked him into a small block and an automatic tranny. We tried shoe horning that assembly in there this evening.. wow is that tight.. Tried two different sets of manifolds overs and unders. Did they ever make one that will miss the steering box? The under slung hits down low the overthrown hits up high.
    In relationship to the factory front cross member. How should the harmonic balancer be located?>behind? and above? in inches
    Which manifold option will work and leave the factory steering box in place.
    Thanks Eric Enk
    Martinsville Indiana

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Some people shift the engine over to the pass. side just enough. Otherwise, the steering box has to be moved over an inch or 2.

3. TaylorfromMO

TaylorfromMO Member

manifolds

I gave up and went with a power steering conversion with the box outside the rails, and headers.

4. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Member

What passenger side manifold are they using to gain the room to shift?I currently have the under slung exits out the rear and it is touching frame as we speak. Only other passenger side I have comes down out of the center,. or at least I assume it is a passenger side.........has a heat riser in it

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Pop for a good set of block hugger headers.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

-or-

Be smart and put a proper 235 in there....

Your son will enjoy it and it'll be easier & cheaper too as 235's are being thrown away as we read this .

FWIW , the '54 235 was a one year only engine , perfectly good yes and a true bolt in but a bugger to find that cylinder head when you need it .

7. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Member

Or put the 267 out of a late model in it like he already has purchased. Just to figure out how to shoe horn it all in there and keep the steering stock.
    Those hugger headers are fairly cheap all things considered.Probably our best bet. Thanks for all the advice.

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Or reread posts 2,3,5 & 6,

where is the photo of it ?, and Welcome aboard

9. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Member

[​IMG] Ok men it is not shiny.. It was wet. This truck had a half inch of dust on it. Has set in our hay barn for over 30 years.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking Good !

Believe me , I've seen much worse .

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for the photo, it looks good to me and you and your son are going to like driving it.

12. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Member

It is his toy. I learned how to shift gears in this old truck when I was about 13. It was all green when we parked it. But when we washed it with soap a lot of the grime and green washed off!LOL
    I have located a set of 265 manifolds. and ordered a set of 1967 camaro 230 motor mounts. 7 bucks a piece locally.
    I prefer to not fool with headers as they always seem to leak and lose bolts. i have them on my jeep amc 360.
    Now tolocate a floor shifter set up for the tranny. turbo 200 I believe. the engine and tranny came out of an Elcatruck 1979

13. Zig

Zig Member

Looks GREAT! Sounds like a great father-son project!

14. TaylorfromMO

TaylorfromMO Member

shifter

I went with Lokar as a shifter for my auto they make several different ones and the look like an old four in the floor

15. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Member

I think next weekend there is a big swap meet up in Indianapolis. Might find a used shifter// or at least a cheap one.. His pockets are not real deep!

16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Cheap headers always split down where the tubes come together. I have a more expensive set and I have had to weld them up. The good ones are thicker and will last longer.

17. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Member

I was speaking of a cheap shifter set up. I am going with the 1956 265 CI. manifolds.