Heater troubles

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by strangedaze, Nov 29, 2010.

1. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

I bought an old heater from WI a few months back. The guy I bought the heater from nor I realized it was a 6 volt motor. So to do a quick test and see if the motor worked he jumped it to a 12v battery and it fired to life. Getting the heater back home I thought, great this looks so much nicer then the aftermarket heaters and I only paid $40! Spent my free time at work restoring the heater case cleaning the rust out of it then slapping it in my truck, but never hooking it up. Now after some research and time I found out it was a 6v heater and bought the required ceramic resistor and switch to hook it up.

Today I wired the entire heater up, expecting a climax.... flip the switch and nothing. Start diagnosing the heater, find out it has some sort of short in it because when I test the + wire coming from the motor to the - side of my battery the continuity meter shows a closed circuit. I tap on the motor a bit and temporarily get the short to stop, but not enough for the motor to start. It does sound like it wants to start though.

Next problem I notice my core starts leaking somewhat probably from my caveman style hitting the blower motor antics to stop the short.

Maybe I just wanted to vent, about my bad day. If you guys have any advice for me I'd appreciate it. I just want some heat in this damn IL winter.

Thanks for listening.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have a 12v. blower motor in the garage, still in the box, if you need it. Can't help you with the core. Seems like someone has them.....Jim Carter maybe?

3. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Core repair ?

Is `nt there any repairshop for radiators in your hometown or nearby town ? I have seen new cores on EBAY but probebly moore expencive then Jim Carter sells them fore? Compare the prices before saying yes !

Good luck Martinius.

4. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

Thanks for the ideas fella's. A new motor sounds great, I was messing with the old one some more and it seems like it's a complete goner. So I'll take you up on your offer on that one ol' chebby if thats fine. Check your PMs so we can figure out payment/shipment.

Didn't think to check the local radiator shop, wonder how they'd do repairing a heater core. It is basically a small radiator. The replacement on Jim Carter appears to be a round type radiator? Thats weird because my core is a rectangle cube shape. Is that un common?

5. coilover

coilover Member

The standard heater had a round core and was a recirculating heater, which means it just run the the air inside the cab around and around through the heater. The deluxe or fresh air heater drew air in through the louvres on the side of the cowl and it was rectangular in shape. Many of these trucks came with no heater and brands such as Arvin, Champion, or even Sears and Montgomery Ward offered after market units. If it has "Chevrolet" in script or a Bow Tie emblem it's a GM heater.

6. TaylorfromMO

TaylorfromMO Member

6v heater motor

I have a 6v heater motor in the garage you can have, since you already have the resistor.

7. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

Thanks for the info coilover.
    [​IMG]

The heater had this logo on it, which i replaced with a aftermarket one from our host while refinishing it.

@Taylor: Wow thats great, I'd gladly pay for shipping. It works fine right?

Thanks for all the support guys. Nice to have a place like this after a crap couple days off work. Got shafted on a side job, and had my indian job called off for the time being which I was pretty enthused about.

8. yodaman

yodaman Member

I think.....

I think that in a previous post it was Nate who suggeted something to add to try to seal the leaks in your core. Aluma-seal, maybe? I followed that suggestion when I installed my refurbished one and it worked for me.

Josh

9. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Alumaseal stops the drip from my heater core...

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Aluma-Seal

It is ! .

<magic> stuff , SO good that the Big Three all use it in their new cars & trucks....

Be careful prying the plug out of the end of the tube as it's well stuck and loves top fly off and spry the silver powder everywhere.....

Forget about Bar's leaks etc .

11. TaylorfromMO

TaylorfromMO Member

6v Motor

Yes it works fine, if you wanna email me your snail mail address I'll ship it out to ya. My email is taylor.pettit@yahoo.com. It's just one of many left over peices from my build that are cluttering up my garage.

12. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Alutite is the product the use here!

Melting aluminum "Alutite" with a gas torch and make a stroke over the spot thats leaking if possable ? This aluminum sticks to all kinds of metal gategories because it is a good compound of alu.+tin+pl.

They build a new core fore my truck and that whas not moore expencive then buying a new one. As the core channels are tiny the corebuilder advized me to clean the waterline system once in a while with some citrus acid wich you can buy at your farmacy store.

Martinius.

13. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Only problem with chemical sealants is they tend to gum up everything in the cooling system {including the small water passages in the cylinder head }.

Only way to do it right is to replace the leaking core with a repaired & pressure tested unit.

We usually only sell complete restored heating systems

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0661251047&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESOX:IT

But.... if your core can be repaired..... we might be able to trade you out for a good pressure tested one.

[​IMG]

PM us for more info.

14. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

Sent ya a email Taylor :)

Deadzone that sounds great, what's your email address? I'd like to get some more info on going that route.

15. TaylorfromMO

TaylorfromMO Member

Motor

I shipped that 6v motor out to ya yesterday hope you can get some use out of it.