changing from auto to manual trans

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by lefty's 71, Nov 27, 2010.

1. lefty's 71

lefty's 71 Member

Hello everybody,
    Got a question,iv'e got a 71 chev pickup 1/2 ton and i'm looking for a rear eng crossmember,looking to run a muncie 4 speed,and i'm looking for the clutch pedal set up,i believe i have a bellhousing,but my other question is i have a low hump in my cab,do i need to modify this?

2. drabo

drabo Member

I'm pretty sure that you will need to modify this. I would thry to fit the tranny in first before I start cutting though.

3. lefty's 71

lefty's 71 Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the reply,the rear eng crossmember that bolts to the bellhousing,i believe that they were made for 67's and 68's so putting it in my 71 might be a little much.It's been 25 years since i was hotrodding so things are slowly coming back.I'm new to this forum thing,so i guess the response takes a while.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tranny Swap

Coupla different ways to approach this , I'm a farn Mechanic so maybe not useful .

I'd try to mock it up and see how much if any floor clearance there is , then mark & cut as needed after dropping the tranny back out again .

I'd prolly go look for a junker manual tranny truck to get the entire , correct clutch pedal and linkages out of but hydraulics work well and are cheap these days .