intermitant & delay wipers

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by jeepster7166, Jan 13, 2003.

1. jeepster7166

jeepster7166 Member

Any ideas how I can use a modern tilt column & wiper motor to get interitant wipers in my 66 C-10? will the motor bolt on or will there need to be modifications to the arm end/motor shaft?

My truck is a daily driver & this would go a long way towards making it a more enjoyable drive. Any ideas you guys can provide would be helpful. Thanks.

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit jeepster!

unfamiliar with specific models, but when you think about its basic operation, i believe that the intermittent wiper feature is entirely in the switch itself, not the motor.

if the self-cancelling feature is already built into the existing wiper motor, then the intermittent feature can simply be a generic push-button switch, like a horn button.

if i am correct, the cheapest way to have the intermittent wiper feature is to temporarily wire a simple push-button switch, in parallel, off of the existing wiper knob...and see if it works.

if the test is successful, then you can just wire up the tilt column's wiper switch, according to its original wiring diagram, and have that intermittent feature you desire.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-03 AT 05:38 PM (CST)]Hay 5/7 !! You look familiar .... Have we met surfin or something ????

You guys don't even need wipers do you ???

4. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit dv!

i spoke to you, in CT's CHAT ROOM...friday night with DeeDeeDinah..

yep, we need wipers, rains almost every week. PO removed wiper arms/blades/vacuum hose and switch, in THE PINK LADY.

when the vacuum motor failed, i ended up converting to CHEVYDUTY'S electric wiper motor/switch/arms/blades.

5. dvalentine

Just messin with ya myron !!

6. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) missed ya in CHAT last night, dv

7. dvalentine

I was in there for a little while... About 5 o'clock your time....

8. tkconlon

tkconlon Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-03 AT 10:09 PM (CST)]Hi Jeepster,

The answers you have gotten are partially correct. You could indeed hook up a column switch (or the push button)to get the "one shot" wipe. If you want to have intermittant wiper action you need to have a circuit that applies a pulse to the wiper motor every so often. The motor can be the standard unit. I believe you can buy a box from J.C. Whitney or probably Pep Boys or other supplier that has a knob to set the intermittant timing or if you are electronically inclined, I could send you a schematic of a circuit that performs this function. To make any of them work properly, you need to have the auto-park switch of the wiper motor functional.

Tom in Steamboat
    '60 Short Fleetside